You can get help with Canvas by using the Help menu. Depending on your user role, the Help menu generates a list of resources to help you with Canvas. Canvas displays links according to roles in all enrollments; for instance, if you are a student who had one courses with an instructor-based role, the Help menu will show you links available to students and instructors.
This lesson outlines the five default help links that may be included in the Help menu for your institution.
Note: Depending on your institution, the Help menu may not be available.
At the bottom of Global Navigation, click the Help link.
Note: Depending on your institution, the Help link name and icon may vary.
View Default Links
There are five default links for help or feedback:
- Search the Canvas Guides : Search the Canvas Guides for information about features inside of Canvas
- Ask the Community (Non-Students Only) : Exchange ideas and solutions regarding Canvas functionality with Canvas experts and your Canvas peers
- Report a Problem : Submit problems with Canvas to our support team
- Submit a Feature Idea : Submit ideas about how to make Canvas better
- Training Services Portal : Access Canvas training videos and courses
Search Canvas Guides
The Search the Canvas Guides link helps users search Canvas documentation for information about features in Canvas.
Ask the Community
The Ask the Community link allows users with an instructor-, TA-, or designer-based role to collaborate with other members of the Canvas community for answers to Canvas questions. This link directs to the Find Answers space in the Canvas Community.
Report a Problem
The Report a Problem link helps users report problems in Canvas.
You may find a faster response to your question by searching the Canvas Guides. But if you can't find an answer, you can submit a ticket and get support help.
In the subject field , create a subject for your ticket.
In the description field , describe the problem you are experiencing in Canvas. Please be as detailed as possible to help troubleshoot the problem. If you submit tickets frequently, you may prefer to use a screencasting program to create an online link to an image or create a video walkthrough. However, if you're not comfortable using online links, you can submit attachments later if necessary; once you submit the ticket, you'll receive an email from the support team. You can reply to the email with any attachment as needed.
In the drop-down menu , select the statement that best describes how the problem is affecting you:
- Just a casual question, comment, idea, suggestion
- I need some help but it's not urgent
- Something's broken but I can work around it for now
- I can't get things done until I hear back from you
- EXTREMELY CRITICAL EMERGENCY
When you're done, click the Submit Ticket button .
Depending on your institution's support schedule, you'll receive a reply as soon as possible.
Request a Feature
The Submit a Feature Idea link allows users to submit feature ideas to Canvas. This link directs to the Feature Ideas space in the Canvas Community.
Open Training Services Portal
The Training Services Portal link allows users to access the Training Services Portal, which contains self-paced training resources on a variety of Canvas topics.