How do I customize my Courses list as a student?

When you are enrolled in more than one Canvas course, you can customize the active courses you want to show in your Course list. Courses you want to show in the Courses drop-down menu are called favorite courses. You can favorite any published course that appears in the My Courses section on the course list page. Course favorites also display in the Card View Dashboard.

When no courses are favorited, the courses list automatically displays up to 20 courses alphabetically in the drop-down menu. However, once you have selected at least one course as a favorite, only your favorite courses will appear in the Courses list.

Note: Courses are always listed alphabetically; you cannot reorder your courses manually.

Open Courses

Open Courses

In Global Navigation, click the Courses link [1], then click the All Courses link [2].

Manage Courses

To favorite a course, click the star next to a course [1]. Courses with filled stars show the course is a favorite [2].

Notes:

• After you have manually favorited at least one course, Canvas automatically favorites any new published course enrollments for you.
  • You can only favorite active courses.

View Unpublished Courses

View Unpublished Courses

If a course is unpublished and you are allowed to view unpublished courses before the course participation dates, you cannot favorite the course. If you hover over a star icon for an unpublished course, you can view a message indicating that the course cannot be added as a favorite.

Future and past enrollments also cannot be favorited.

View Past Enrollments

Depending on course configuration, you may still be able to view your past enrollments after courses have concluded. However, favorited courses are not automatically removed as a favorite. If a past enrollment course still shows as a favorite, you can unfavorite the course by toggling the star icon.