How do I edit my profile in my user account as a student?

Some institutions may enable a feature in Canvas called Profiles. Profiles allows you to update your name, preferred contact methods, and any personal links for your account. Your profile information can be viewed by all users in your courses.

Note: If you do not see the Profiles tab in your user navigation menu, this feature has not been enabled for your institution.

Open Profile

Open Profile

In Global Navigation, click the Account link [1], then click the Profile link [2].

Edit Profile

Edit Profile

Click the Edit Profile button.

Note: If you can't edit your profile or communication channels, it's been disabled by your institution.

Edit Profile Picture

Edit Profile Picture

To upload a profile picture, click the profile picture icon.

Note: Profile pictures are a separate permission from profiles. If you do not see a placeholder picture, your institution has not enabled this feature.

Edit Name and Title

Edit Name and Title

If you are allowed to change your name, type your name in the name field [1]. Type your title in the title field [2].

Add Contact Methods

Add Contact Methods

If you have connected to any web services, click the checkbox underneath the web service to indicate how you wish to be contacted via that service [1]. To add additional services, click the Manage Registered Services link. Please note that any selected services will not be shared with other course/group members unless you have previously selected the sharing checkbox in the Manage Registered Services page.

The Discussion icon [2] automatically appears as a contact method for Admins so users can contact them through Canvas Conversations. It cannot be selected by any other users.

Note: As created in your user profile, email addresses do not appear as a contact method and are only used for Canvas notifications. Canvas users should contact each other via Conversations.

Edit Bio

Edit Bio

Type your biography in the bio field. You can add hobbies and interesting facts about yourself.

Save Profile

Save Profile

Click the Save Profile button.