Improved rubric creation and usability

Theme Overview

Rubrics are a powerful tool for helping students understand expectations and better ensure that scoring is accurate, unbiased, and consistent. Improving the creation workflow and usability will save instructors time and enhance student outcomes.

What value could this provide to users?

• Provide additional editing capabilities that save the instructor time in creating and updating rubrics.
  • Simplify the management and workflow for connecting and disconnecting from artifacts.
  • Improved interface, default settings, and formatting options.
  • Added flexibility in viewing preferences.
  • Export capabilities
Why was this theme chosen to open for voting?

April 2023 • Rubrics are a widely used powerful assessment tool. We’ve heard feedback from our Community and customers directly that by Improving the current experience, we can make our instructors’ and students’ lives easier.

Why was this theme chosen for prioritization?

June 2023Rubrics are a powerful assessment tool and are used by many of our users. The UI/UX improvements to rubrics come up frequently on customer calls, and this was the top-voted theme.

Referenced Ideas (22)

45 Comments
baldwinsh
Community Participant

I second @ScottChristy 's request for rubrics that align more in a grid pattern!! The wobbly grids that are currently generated (particularly when you add a description to the ratings) looks rather unprofessional. It would be nice if we could either add banding to the rubric's criterion rows so that it's easy for both students and instructors/graders to keep track of where they are on rubrics longer than one criterion or to be able to color code the different ratings so that the students see not only a score but can visually see how well they are doing in a given area.

ScottChristy
Community Member

@mbmacdonald  Thanks for the link. It looks to be a solid upgrade.

I just recently decided to start using the rubric feature in Canvas. Up to this point it was easier to just use the rubrics that I had created previously and mark them up on paper for student feedback. Glad to see these features will finally be implemented even if I'm retiring at the end of this school year so it will be too late for me to benefit from the updates....  😐

tslee
Community Participant

When a peer review for an assignment, requires filling in the Canvas rubric, in order to be marked complete,  the UI for the Canvas rubric needs improvement.

There is no easy way to expand the rubric screen as a student, so it is difficult and un-usable.

Angela_J
Community Member

It would be great if the Rubrics page would have an option to allow it to be visible to students. Having learners have one page to view these criteria would be extremely helpful and transparent, particularly with the current design, where locating rubric information differs between assignment and discussion. 

Jonan
Community Member

I have discussion boards in every week in my classes, and they all use exactly the same rubric. However, sometimes I need to change the point values, and I need to be able to edit the ONE rubric that is attached to all these discussions.

These comments are for questions and general discussion. Feedback and detailed discussion will take place after an idea is prioritized.