How do I view global activity for all my courses in the Recent Activity Dashboard as an instructor?
The Recent Activity Dashboard shows you important recent activities from all of your courses including announcements, discussions, assignments, and conversations. This stream is similar to the Course Activity Stream for an individual course.
The following activities will cause notifications for each course to appear in the Global Activity Stream:
- New Announcements
- Replies to Announcements
- New Discussions
- New Discussion Posts
- New Assignments
- Assignments, Quizzes, or Discussions Changed from Ungraded to Graded
- Due Date Changes to Assignments, Quizzes, and Discussions
- New Graded Assignments
- New Peer Review Assignments
- New Conversation Messages
The Recent Activity Dashboard also includes the Dashboard sidebar, which includes items in your To-Do list and includes a link to the global Grades page.
You can change your Dashboard view at any time using the Dashboard Options icon.
- Notifications in the Recent Activity Dashboard will not display for activity in Files, Collaborations, Grades, Pages, or Conferences; ungraded quizzes and surveys; or edits to Discussions.
- Edits to Quizzes and Assignments will only display in the Recent Activity Dashboard when the Notify users that this content has changed button has been selected in a course.
- To receive notifications for Discussions, you must actively post in the discussions at least once every two weeks. If you stop participating in a discussion after two weeks, Canvas will no longer display discussion notifications.
In Global Navigation, click the Dashboard link.
View Global Activity
The Global Activity Stream contains recent notifications from all of your courses, including announcements, discussions, assignments, and conversations. This activity stream helps you see all recent activity in your courses and easily ask questions and post to discussion forums. Unlike course cards, the activity stream does not mimic the visibility of Course Navigation links.
Activities are indicated by activity type and display an icon  for the activity. Each activity also includes the name of its associated course .
New activity in your account is indicated by an unread icon . Discussions and Announcements indicate new activity items published in a course, and Conversations indicate a new message received from a user in a course. Recent Activity items remain for four weeks.
Expand and Collapse Notifications
You can view the details of each activity by hovering in the notification area and clicking the Show More link . To collapse recent activity, click the Show Less link .