Canvas Instructional Designers Discussions

Canvas Instructional Designers questions and discussion forum

I'm putting a new Canvas course together.  Because of the idiotic non-inclusion of sub-folders in Canvas Modules, I have an enormous number of modules set up in my course.  Because my slide narrations are sometimes spoken quickly, I decided to offer ...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

The process for one page is: open the pageclick "Edit"scroll downfind "Add to student to-do" box and click itenter dateclick "Save" I need to do this for some 100 pages! Is there a simpler way than going through all those steps for each page? Also, I...

Community Member
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello Dear Reader!I'm struggling to get my code block to save and display properly when utilizing the embedding function in a Page; it quite literally only saves and runs the first 27 lines of code.Any suggestions or fixes?Code:"""<!DOCTYPE html><htm...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

In my course, I use prerequisites to help keep students completing the work in the correct order. The orientation process in-particular.  I have them do the following: Welcome module (view) -> Syllabus Module (view) -> Orientations... The trouble i...

• 0 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I have 4 sections of a class cross-listed with a new "empty" Canvas shell (this allows me to give the cross-listed mega-class of 4 sections a unique title). In this course, I have 1 group set and had Canvas auto-assign students to groups of 5-6 (stud...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Does anyone have an effective way to incorporate layered curriculum into Canvas?Short summary: layered curriculum allows students to choose which assignments they want to do to achieve mastery. C-level are base knowledge (75 points), B-level are more...

Community Member
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello. Is there a way to disable the To Do list for student view?

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

We use a course for our student handbook.  I want to connect our policies via our Google docs so we can update them in real time.  My question is, if I put it in as a link, can the student edit the online file?

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

We are preparing a new program and are considering enabling "Improved Outcomes management." I cannot find any documentation of how this affects existing Outcomes. We tried enabling this tool a few years ago, and it messed up the exisitng outcomes and...

Community Participant
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hi all, I need to copy my master courses from one canvas school instance to another canvas school instance.  I am the Canavs IT Admin for 2 schools (same parent company), and I would like to copy all the master shell courses for a few programs from 1...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

We are testing a self enrolled course which has three sections (A, B and C).  Whenever our test students use the enrollment link they are automatically sent to section C.  Is there a way to indicate which section the student should be enrolled in via...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Apologies for not knowing where else to ask. Our institution is a bit late to the full understanding of how outcomes beyond the course level can help us make informed decisions. I'd like to start with how to replicate the Learning Mastery Grade book ...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello canvas community!  I am helping an instructor set up their canvas site. The instructor can set my role to be a TA, or an instructional designer, or anything else except instructor. We want to set up grade weights for the assignment groups but f...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

We need a shortcut to open Canvas Equation Builder.  When building a lot of content, it takes 3 clicks and moving your hand away from the keyboard just to open the builder.   When the builder opens, the cursor is not automatically placed inside the w...

• 2 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hello,  I am an administrator and an instructor. I would like to know if a question created in an Item Bank in New Quizzes can be modified to a different type of question? For example, the question was created as an Essay type question, and I would l...

• 1 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Hello, Cool trick I Can save HTML to my Files area, and I can iframe those into my course with no problem.  This is amazing and opens the doors to a whole new level of interactives natively being hosted in Canvas. Problem:  This cannot be shared to C...

• 0 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I would like to export completed rubric scores (numeric and comments) from Canvas to a spreadsheet from all courses that use this rubric so I can compare them.  Does anyone have a tool that we could use for this?

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

In previous terms, by disabling New Course and User Analytics in the Features Options of the settings automatically reverted back to the old analytics. However, the same process is not working for my Fall 2024 course. Disabling New Analytics removes ...

Community Member
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I am an instructional designer providing support to faculty, and we are running into an issue with the "Assign to" feature in Assignments and Modules. When faculty assign an assignment to a specific section or group of students and then add this same...

Community Participant
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hi everyone, is there a way to bulk reorder module items? For context, I am trying to merge 5 modules into 1, is there a quick way to combine all the items from the modules? Thank you. 

• 0 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Hello, in Canvas' Assignments section, is there any way I can quickly sort the assignments in the numerical order? Thank you. 

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Is there a way to add a course title in the subject line of the notification email when a person is registered into a course for the first time?  Right now it looks like the subject line is the same for all courses.  It would be helpful if the subjec...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I want to create a single About Your Instructor (for example) page in Canvas that I can have linked to in all my courses. This way I only update the page in one place and it is updated everywhere. What I am doing now is creating the page in one cours...

• 0 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Why did the assignment and quiz due dates change locations? Extra clicks? "Manage Assign?" It doesn't make very much sense.

• 2 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I am trying to build an ungraded survey to score complete/incomplete. I was unable to use Classic Quizzes because I was not able to see the results in Speed Grader. I would like to use Microsoft Forms to embed a form in an assignment and have the res...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I am importing quizzes via qti files created using a quiz template for excel spreadsheets. They are saved as csv and converted to qti using the Kansas State Classic to QTI 2.0 converter recommended by Instructure. Works great, import is smooth except...

Community Member
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Since it's very typical for course/instructional designers to develop course content in Canvas, how do you get around your name/profile showing on the discussion prompt?  This is assuming the instructor doesn't want students to know that a support pe...

• 1 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hi Instructure Product Team and Engineering Team,I want to provide feedback on the new tray for Assign Access in Assignments.An instructor said that she couldn't save her assignment when clicking on the Save button. The reason why she couldn't save i...

• 7 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I copied a couple of assignments and discussions from other courses (they had similar format to this course).  They had due dates from 2022, which I then removed. I then copied the format for the entirety of the course.  Canvas is still showing that ...

• 1 Likes
  • 5 Replies