Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions about Canvas LMS. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Anyone have a suggestion on criteria for teachers to have as beginning Canvas users? I'm teaching an hour session to 20 educators. Thoughts appreciated!! I'm thinking things like:Profile settingsNotification settingsHow to access help/guides, etc.Cre...

• 15 Likes
  • 19 Replies

We have hybrid devices for staff and the Wiris Maths and Chemistry LTIs now provide amazing handwriting functionality so much that the built-in Maths Editor is redundant.Is there anyway of removing it from the list?Thanks

• 3 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Dear Community members,I have read the guide for integrating Office 365 LTI into Canvas and wanted to ask for a clarification about the following:The Office 365 LTI supports Microsoft OneDrive in Canvas and can be enabled at the account, sub-account,...

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

We've started enrolling teachers in our course about 2 months ago and receive emails from about 75% of our participants saying they haven't received the invitation. Before we enroll them, we send a welcome email informing them to add notifications@ca...

• 5 Likes
  • 9 Replies

I have an instructor that contacted me today with this issue:> I have a question regarding closed captioning in Canvas. In adding closed captioning to my videos, I've noticed that the captions are OK if the videos are played at normal size. However, ...

• 2 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Can students begin a quiz, save their progress and finish it at a later time? I am setting up my online course using the quiz feature more as an exploration, and not a traditional quiz. It will take them longer than one sitting to complete the entire...

• 8 Likes
  • 8 Replies

I will be leaving the country for 11 days and was wondering if I can access my Canvas Courses overseas? 

• 3 Likes
  • 6 Replies

I have links to YouTube videos using the href tag in HTML. Whenever I save the page, a thumbnail shows of the YouTube video, however, I just want the link to show as text and not show as a thumbnail as well. How can I achieve this?

• 5 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Is it possibe to create an out of office notificaton for messaging? It has become apprant this something we need to be able to do withlin canvasIf not - is it the case that if X messages Y in canvas and Y is away, an out of office notificaton from Ys...

• 6 Likes
  • 16 Replies

What does the analytic about 'Total Activity' (hr:min:sec) for each student actually mean?

• 5 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I have created assignments, quizzes and discussions for students. Students can see assignments and quizzes in their calendars but not the discussions. Why is that? All the discussions have due dates set for them,

• 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Encounter unexpected error when starting a collaboration (At course level > Select Collaborations > click ‘Add Collaboration’ > click ‘Log In’ > “An unexpected Error occurred”).This error continue even after clicking the "Log in" button. Wondering th...

• 8 Likes
  • 14 Replies

How can I hide my "inactive" students.  Those who were no-shows will not require a grade like those who drop after the deadline so I can't see any reason to have them on the people list.  Any ideas?  (I did a search for this question but it was answe...

• 2 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Hello, I am teaching several sections of a computer science class.   My colleague is also teaching several sections of the same class.Can I create a discussion that can be accessed by all students in all of our classes?Can I restrict access to only s...

• 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Does anyone know if there is a way to check discussion board posts for plagiarism?

• 7 Likes
  • 13 Replies

I uploaded grades in a CVS file but my "Course Grade" column is blank -- I just want to post Letter Grades

• 2 Likes
  • 5 Replies

I am working with someone who has quiz questions with feedback for each possible multiple choice response.  These materials are currently in a Word format, and I'd like to import them into Canvas using Respondus.  To attempt to do so, I formatted the...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 8 Likes
  • 28 Replies

For accreditation purposes one of our departments needs to track rubrics for 7-8 assignments for each individual student. Currently, they are using paper rubrics for grading and then scanning those into Evernote into a notebook for each student.Is th...

• 13 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Is there a way to delete files on canvas once they have been uploaded?I have duplicates that I want to delete.

• 10 Likes
  • 17 Replies

In my course I have 10 discussion boards and 30 students.  When I select People and an individual student I can see the student's most recent 8 to 10 posts to any of the discussion boards.  When I select a people (a student) I would like to see and b...

• 1 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Bug when adding youtube videos with time codesteps:Create new modulecreate new text pagetype in a paragraph of textpaste in URL to video URLhttps://youtu.be/zC-fjTuLl1c?t=7m0ssaveview pageresult:  video shows up, but click play (>) and it does not st...

Community Member
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I teach computer science, specifically the Python language.  In Python, spaces at the beginning of lines of code have important meaning.  I give a lot of comments about my student's code using the Speed Grader.  However, I have found that spaces at t...

Community Novice
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 13 Replies

I am doing a discussion forum, and I need to use hanging indents but I can't figure it out.

• 4 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Does anyone know if Explain Everything is available as an app in CANVAS?

• 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Does Canvas allow for the use of wildcards when searching for a course in the "Find a Course" field?Our school has extremely long course names and the year is at the very end.  It would be incredibly helpful to be able to enter SOC 101 * 17 and get a...

• 1 Likes
  • 7 Replies

We have a concern about possible cheating in a discussion board.  A Spanish teacher pointed out that certain discussion posts have a strange colored box around student responses.  We are wondering why this might be,Example:Compared to this:

• 1 Likes
  • 5 Replies

My husband and I both use Canvas at our institution--Houston Community College.  He is experiencing a problem.We spot check averages to be careful.  Tonight, we discovered that his end of the semester grades are averaging approximately two points hig...

• 5 Likes
  • 8 Replies

I do not want Canvas to calculate my students' final letter grade. I want the freedom to issue the semester letter grade in an additional grade center column. For example, a student earns 895 points out of 1000, a B on my grade scale--but the student...

• 7 Likes
  • 9 Replies

I'm working with an instructor that has a quiz where students must view and identify images. The instructor is, of course, concerned about students simply right-clicking to do a reverse image search and get the answers, so I am working on easy method...

• 3 Likes
  • 8 Replies

My courses upload capacity is only 524.3MB but the content that I need to upload is a lot larger than that. How do I increase the storage so that I can upload all of the files (including video)

• 3 Likes
  • 4 Replies