How do I ask a question in the Community?

Document created by communityteam Administrator on Mar 19, 2015Last modified by jivedocs@instructure.com on Apr 22, 2017
Version 8Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Official Canvas Document

Canvas + Logo transparent (WHITE)- 300px.png

Sometimes you simply need a quick answer to your question about Canvas-related topic. The 'ask a question' feature leverages the discussion tool (and posting a question is similar to How do I start a discussion in the Community?) However, there is one key distinction: questions can be marked 'correct' by Community Team and Canvas Coaches. Correct answers also rise to the top of the conversation thread, making them easier to find.

Search the community for your question

Type relevant keywords in any universal search box (i.e., community home page, search bar in upper-right hand corner of the screen) to see if your question has already been asked and/or answered by users in the community.

SearchCommunity.png

Click on "I have the same question"

If your question (or a similar version) exists, you may want to click on the 'I have the same question' link below the question. This way, you will be automatically notified of future comments as they are posted.

Follow the question.

Sometimes you simply may want to keep an eye on the conversation thread without having to insert your thoughts or comments.

Mark comments as 'Helpful'

If your question (or a similar version) exists, read through the comments to see if any of them answer your question. If your question has been answered, mark the answer as 'helpful'

Add your own comments.

If your question is a slight variation or you have additional thoughts, you may want to add  comments to the conversation thread.

Navigate to the group or place in the community where you would like to post your question

The most commons place to ask questions related to Canvas is in the Find Answers area of the community. Otherwise, you can also post questions in other places, such as groups.
Click on "Find Answers" from the homepage to navigate there.

FindAnswersButton.png

Select the 'discussion' tool from the action menu

If you are in the Find Answers are of the community, click on 'Ask a Question' button. Otherwise, the action menu will always be located on the right-hand side of any group's or place's banner.

NOTE: The ability to start a discussion may not be available or enabled in all areas of the community.

Title your discussion and add content

Use the rich content editor to insert an image, video, or code example into your question. Screenshots, videos are helpful in understanding your concerns.

RCE.png

Link to additional content via @mention or by uploading attachments.

@mentionAttach.png

Tag your discussion post

Choose from a selection of existing tags (which will appear as you type) or create new ones. Tags make content easily searchable.

TagExist-Create.png

Click post

Post.png

By default, you will automatically be following your own discussion post. Anytime there is activity related to your post (i.e., comments added, content marked 'like' or 'helpful', etc.) you will be notified.

8 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes