How do I follow people, places, or content in the community?

Document created by communityteam Administrator on Mar 24, 2015Last modified by jivedocs@instructure.com on Apr 22, 2017
Version 8Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Official Canvas Document

Canvas + Logo transparent (WHITE)- 300px.png

Within the Canvas Community, you can choose to follow specific people, places, and content. Following is like subscribing; it means you'll receive a notification when there is recent activity relating to the specific place, person, or content item you've followed.

By default, you will receive notifications for any content you've interacted with (i.e. asked a question, posted a discussion, replied/commented on something), as well as, any group you've joined. But following is especially helpful for keeping track of people or places, like Canvas Release Notes.

You may want to check out How do I view content I've authored or participated in the community? (which includes all the things you are following)

Follow Profiles, Spaces or Groups

On every place page, user profile, and content item, you'll see a Follow button. Click the button to follow the person, place, or content item you are viewing.

follow-button.png

Select Stream

By default, notifications will be selected to appear as part of your activity stream. You can also choose to receive notifications in your Canvas community Inbox.

follow-streams.png

If you have created custom activity streams, the custom stream will also appear as a location where you can follow the people, place, or content you are viewing. Deselect the Connections Stream option and click the checkbox next to one or more of your other streams.

custom-stream-following2.png

Follow Content

When you contribute to content (i.e., reply to a discussion, ask a question, or submit a feature request, etc.), you'll automatically be added to the content item as a 'follower' and will receive updates in your community inbox. But if you are interested in following a specific content item (blog, idea, document, event, etc.) the link is under the "Actions" menu to the right of the content.

Remember, you can always 'unfollow' places, people or content item at any time.

3 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes