Group Member's Guide

Document created by biray@instructure.com Administrator on Aug 27, 2015Last modified by jivedocs@instructure.com on Apr 22, 2017
Version 6Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

This guide will highlight some important ways to participate and get involved as a group member.

What can I do in a group?

Participation can come in varying degrees of commitment - from least to most engaging. It can be as simple as viewing on-going discussions and bookmarking content. Or, as involved as, creating resources and authoring the group blog. You might join, ask a question, get your answer and never return. Or, come back regularly, answer other people's questions and provide comments to in-depth discussions.

There is no minimum requirement on participation.  As long as you find some content interesting, relevant, valuable, helpful (be it one time or any time), that's all that matters.

View All Activity

This is a feed of all the activity in the group. It's a great way to keep up with the daily activity of the group:

• Shows status updates
  • References any mentions of the group from elsewhere in the community
  • Displays content that has been 'shared' to the group

View All Content

Although the landing page of any group is organized intentionally to surface the most relevant and timely content, sometimes you want to view all content at once. This is helpful when you want to filter content by specific types, tags, categories, etc.

View All Members

The People tab allows you to view all the members in the group. If you want to invite a new member, click on Actions > Invite.

What types of content can I author?

There are many different types of content you can create in a group:

• Discussion (question)
  • Document (or file upload)
  • Blog post
  • Poll
  • Status update
  • Video
  • Event

Some items may be disabled by the group owner depending on the function or purpose of the group (i.e., Canvas Focus Groups).

Ask Questions vs. Start discussions

The most common form of activities in the group are the question forums and the discussion areas. The main difference is that questions can be marked 'correct answer' or 'assumed answered'. When creating discussions, be sure to UNCHECK the 'mark this discussion as a question' default.

Other Resources

Blogs are great for editorializing your content. Members have shared creative work-arounds, pedagogical insights, and other musings in a blog. Polls can help take the pulse of the group on a topic. We see group owners launch polls more frequently than members. Documents and file uploads are often used to share more formal or collaborative resources. (Documents have version history and can be authored by multiple members.)

How do I access content creation tools?

First, you must be in the group in which you want to create resources. Then, there are 2 ways you can create content:

Via the Action Menu in the Banner Navigation

Via the Action List under Content in the Banner Navigation

Who do I contact if I have further questions?

Contact the group leader first. If you are unsuccessful in your attempt to reach him/her, contact Biray Seitz.

6 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes