Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions in Canvas Question Forum. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Filter by Label:

OK, so I'm hoping somebody's worked out the rules around how Roll Call passes grades into the Gradebook in a multi-section course. I've got a course containing 2 sections (same students in each - long story). Each section has its own Roll Call attend...

• 4 Likes
  • 10 Replies

I've been dealing with a lot of this lately and it's causing a lot of inconsistencies when I'm counting enrollment. For this class in particular, the provisioning report counts ~200 students are enrolled, but the admin dashboard says only 104 and thi...

• 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

So I have looked at different areas in the Community (the Migration Strategies area, for example) and I can't seem to find an answer. You guys in the Community are so awesome, that I know someone will chime in and give me some ideas on where to go in...

• 7 Likes
  • 4 Replies

Hi, We have Just-In-Time provisioning turned on in our production instance. At present, we have sis_user_id checked in "provisioning only." If a new user logs into (with JIT provisioning) BEFORE our SIS uploads happen (containing this new user), woul...

Community Participant
Canvas Question Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I am using the insert equation within Canvas, but cannot find the Geometry Notation that I need.  Such as Segment AB written as AB with a bar over the top of it, or Arrow for Ray, or double arrow for Lines.  I also need the congruence symbol and the ...

• 4 Likes
  • 8 Replies

Is it possible to turn off notifications for my students in my course settings?  I know the students can turn off their own notification settings in their individual accounts, but I want to set the course itself to not send out notifications. 

Community Novice
Canvas Question Forum
  • 27 Likes
  • 37 Replies

Greetings!My name is Mable Williams, PhD and I am new to the Instructional Designer Community.  I recently did an Internet search for available Mobile Learning training for Instructional Designers.  I came across a previously offered course at  Instr...

• 9 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Did anyone have their custom Java Script break? We were hiding several buttons from faculty and suddenly they have reappered. No matter what I change my Java Script to I cannot hide the buttons from faculty.  I was tolde to replace my first line with...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Hi EveryoneWe have what we call the Master Template for each course. In this Master we have Turnitin set up for each assignment. We then go into each assignment and change the settings. For instance these are the big ones we change"Allow Submission o...

Community Novice
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 1 Replies

We are seriously looking at the Blackboard to Canvas migration. As the Blackboard lead Sys Admin I would appreciate any / all resources or experiential feed back from those who have gone before me. We are a 2 year technical college running about 2500...

• 10 Likes
  • 10 Replies

I'm a Canvas administrator and I am seeing this issue occur periodically at our school and I have seen this issue previously as well (been using Canvas since 2011):Old calendar events are getting copied to new courses inadvertently when an instructor...

• 1 Likes
  • 6 Replies

We encourage students to check their notification settings, but we are getting a lot of feedback that they find them very confusing and are not sure what they all mean!  Sometimes they feel overwhelmed by emails and the danger is they then turn every...

• 7 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Why is my video quality so poor when I use my HD webcam to record a video when using the Record Media function in Canvas?  The camera looks great when recording elsewhere or using Zoom. Does Canvas severely limit recording resolution?

• 8 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Instructor not able to add a rubric to assignment.  The loading wheel just keeps spinning.  Has anyone ran into this problem?  Using both Firefox and Chrome.  I was masquerading as instructor and ran into same issue.  I am able to add a rubric with n...

Community Participant
Canvas Question Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 17 Replies

Our English dept is in the process of building an online Graphic Novels course.  They have asked for assistance/ideas on getting these books housed in their Canvas course.The books come in either .CBR or .CBZ file typesThere are many mobile app optio...

• 4 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Are you able to see the quiz statistics when all of the student enrollments in a course are concluded? I have been looking and it does not appear so. When there is at least one active student in the course when you go to the quiz details this appears...

• 5 Likes
  • 8 Replies

Best method where students must agree to code of conduct prior to start of course? Note this is without using the Canvas catalog. I would assume this would be a quiz? Google doc? Is there a way to add user fields such as name/email etc?Any suggestion...

• 4 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Hi All,I've been tasked with a bit of a hot potato, and I was hoping anyone else out there already set something like this up.  Our provost wants to populate all new courses with a syllabus template.  That's pretty straight-forward with an API trigge...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 7 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Hi all, is there a way to disable student comments on assignments? I find that students use the comment option to ask questions that they should be emailing me, and I'd rather them not have the option to comment.

Community Explorer
Canvas Question Forum
  • 9 Likes
  • 31 Replies

Ever since Canvas moved over to DocViewer, the system randomly renders Word Documents, arbitrarily shifting the fonts, line-spacing, and other formatting. This makes the Speedgrader app completely incapable of use for assessing things like document f...

Community Explorer
Canvas Question Forum
  • 55 Likes
  • 74 Replies

We have a student that is using a Motorola XT1575 phone with Android OS v 6.  She's deleted the app, restarted and reinstalled the app but when she selects the calendar she he views a message that she can only view 2 calendars and that she has 10 sel...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

New to Canvas.  I am sorry if this was answered somewhere already.Desire:  Email multiple students that have either yet to login or are otherwise unengaged - all at once.  (similar to how you can do it in gradebook on a missing assignment or no submi...

• 7 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Is anyone else having issues with faculty replying to notifications via mobile Outlook, and it doesn't go through? I have a faculty member that has replied to several Canvas conversation notifications via Microsoft Exchange on a mobile phone. The res...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I would like to know if it is possible to hid the to do list from the student view.  We are having an issue with some students clicking on the assignments from the to do list instead of following the order of the modules.  It would be less confusing ...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 32 Likes
  • 42 Replies

In a Canvas page, that is.This seems super-basic, but I can't find anything better than switching into HTML Editor mode.  Some insert menu would be OK, but I'm really hoping for a keyboard shortcut.  (macOS, if it makes a difference.)

Community Participant
Canvas Question Forum
  • 8 Likes
  • 10 Replies

I've been messing around with the API and the reports for the last two hours and I still can't seem to find the report I need. Is there a Canvas report that simply shows the student enrollment for each course? Not the individual students listed, but ...

• 3 Likes
  • 8 Replies

Hello,I have a faculty member asking about Notebowl.  She is specifically interested in how it could help her with Discussions.  It's a class with multiple discussion posts due each week. I see there was a CanvasLive webinar in Aug but I didn't know ...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 12 Likes
  • 15 Replies

Hello, I noticed this issue was asked about in this thread a year ago, but I could not find a solution.  When I require a Quiz to be taken with LDB, the "require LDB for feedback and results" option is selected by default, but after students take the...

• 3 Likes
  • 11 Replies

I am trying to find the simplest way to copy a quiz so I can modify it for a small group of students. I've been searching through the help and have found how to copy/move questions (via the unfiled question banks); however, I want to know if I can ac...

• 8 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Why are the answer boxes so small on quizzes? I get why matching questions need small boxes--space is limited on screen due to the layout. But there appears to be plenty of room to expand the boxes to the right for multiple choice and multiple answer...

• 1 Likes
  • 6 Replies