You can upload a video or audio file to submit as an assignment in Canvas. You can also use Canvas to record an audio or video file to submit as an assignment. Before submitting an assignment, you may want to review all assignment information, such as the assignment rubric, if any. You can also submit assignments using your Android or iOS device.
Any attachments added as part of a graded assignment submission are also copied to your user files but are not counted against your user quota. However, once the file has been uploaded as a submission, you cannot delete the file. Files are stored in the Submissions folder.
To learn more about available options for using media files in Canvas, view the Canvas Media Comparison PDF.
- Canvas will not accept media uploads larger than 500 MB.
- Your instructor will decide what type of submissions are allowed. One or both of these options may not be available. You may also have the option to resubmit assignments if your instructor allows.
- Not all of your assignments may be submitted online. If you cannot see the Submit Assignment link, your instructor may want you to submit your assignment in a different way, or the availability date has passed. View the description of the assignment for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
Click the Submit Assignment button.
Note: If you cannot see the Submit Assignment button, your instructor may not want you to submit your assignment online or the availability date has passed. View the description of the assignment for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
To open the media upload tool, select the Media tab  and click the Record/Upload Media button .
To select a microphone for your recording, click the Mic button . To select a webcam, or, to turn the webcam off for audio-only recordings, click the Webcam button .
Note: If you receive an error that says, "Media comment uploading has not been set up properly," please contact your instructor.
View your media recording upload in the assignment submission box . You can add text comments to your recording .
To replace the recorded or uploaded media before submitting your assignment, refresh your web browser and record or upload your media again.
To submit your recording, click the Submit Assignment button .
View Submitted Assignment
The Sidebar displays information about your submission .
If allowed by your instructor, you may choose to resubmit another version of your assignment by clicking the Re-Submit Assignment button . You will only be able to view the details of your most recent submission in the Sidebar, but your instructor will be able to see all of your submissions.
Once the instructor has graded your submission, the Grades link in Course Navigation displays a grading indicator. You can also see details about your assignment and links to additional feedback in your Grades page.
- After submitting an assignment, the assignment will still appear in Assignments and in the Syllabus; the listing is not removed with assignment submissions.
- When you resubmit an assignment, you can only access and view your most recent submission. However, instructors can view all of your submissions.