How do I log into the Community with my Canvas Account?

Document created by communityteam Administrator on May 27, 2015Last modified by jivedocs@instructure.com on Apr 22, 2017
Version 8Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Official Canvas Document

Canvas + Logo transparent (WHITE)- 300px.png

Technically, anyone can view and search the community. But in order to participate, you must log in. Anyone with Canvas account can use those credentials to log in. Below are two ways you can log into the community - via web and via mobile.

The easiest way to log into the community is from the web.

1. Log into your Canvas Account

Go to your instance of Canvas and log in.

2. Click on the 'help' button and select 'Ask the Community'

You can either click on "Help" button on the upper-right hand side of the screen (or lower left side if you are using the new UI) and select "Ask the Community" or... open up another tab in your browser and type in https://community.canvaslms.com. Both options will take you directly into the community.

3. Log into the Community

In the upper-right hand corner of the community screen is the log in. Once you click that, it should log you in using SSO (single sign on).

If prompted with an “Oops” error, then select your Canvas URL from the drop-down.

The system SSO will automatically log you in or direct you to your Canvas login. Then you will be taken to the Community home page.

4. Confirm your profile (only if this is your first time logging in)

If this is your first time logging into the community, you will be prompted to confirm your profile details. Then click ‘Log In’ button to continue.

NOTE: Your username is the name that will show up in the Community. It is probably a good idea to set this now since this is the only time you have to update this. Otherwise, changing your username later will require some additional support from our end. (How do I change my Canvas Community username?)

If you are logging into the community via mobile, best way to access is via a mobile browser.

(At this time logging into your Canvas Mobile App will not automatically log you into the community.)

1. Log into your Canvas Account

Go to your instance of Canvas and log in.

2. Click on the 'help' button and select 'Search the Canvas Guides'

Click on "Help" button on the upper-right hand side of the screen and select "Search the Canvas Guides" or... open up another tab in your browser and type in https://community.canvaslms.com. Both options will take you directly into the community.

3. Log into the Community

You should see a link to log in.

Returning Login: the system (SSO) will automatically log you in, or direct you to your Canvas login. Then you will be taken to the Community home page.

18 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes