cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

InstructureCon 2016 Post-Conference Feedback

Home.pngSchedule.pngFood & Fun.pngPartners.pngHelp & FAQ.png

tl;dr: This is an open discussion where you all can publicly share your qualitative thoughts and feedback about InstructureCon 2016! Please post before reading the comments from others. Then feel free to reply to others!

Once again we were stunned by another kumbayawesome InstructureCon! Fortunately the great sessions, ideas, and connections we made, can live on within our Canvas Community and in the InstructureCon 2016 community space! Remember that you can keep the conversation alive, around each breakout session, by adding comments! This is a great way to connect with the presenters and share thoughts/ideas with other participants.

Please be sure to take that survey that our marketing team sends out, so we can make instcon even better next year. That quantitative feedback is invaluable.

In addition we wanted to have an open discussion where you all can publicly share your qualitative thoughts and feedback about InstructureCon 2016!

Here's some things you might want to talk about: the sessions, the keynotes, the activities, the online schedule, the app, the booths, the venue, opportunities to connect, ideas for the Community Team to improve community interaction and engagement.

Thanks for your help Canvas Community...  We ❤️ you!

Onward and upward!

PS... Don't forget to add all those kumbayawesome photos you took, to the Camp Canvas Photo Gallery...

add_pic_to gallery.png​​

photo_gallery2.png

In your responses please @mention other community friends or use the "Share" tool to encourage others to offer their feedback as well!

Let's kick off this discussion with some @mentions:

kristin.lundstrum@delasalle.com​, jward@instructure.com​, tom.gibson@esc13.txed.net​, kub26@psu.edu​, kdfrench@utexas.edu​, Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu​, ckofeldt@palcs.org​, ktesterman@ccaeducate.me, roush.94@osu.edu​, amber_morse@allenisd.org​, dlyons@instructure.com​, mjevins@winwholesale.com​, hyrum@instructure.com​, lalevesque​, mfgu@dxatc.edu​, kbeimfohr​, jasond@victoryoutreach.org​, britain.woodman@instructure.com​, regina_mccurdy@scps.k12.fl.us​, hsiao.62@osu.edu​, shortridge@gatewaycc.edu​, stuart.ryan@collaborative.education​, lambj@centergrove.k12.in.uslindalee@wharton.upenn.edu​, awilliams​, thatcher.bohrman@yc.edu​, crystal_trotter@allenisd.org​, Deactivated user​, 985706039​, bsargent​, bwalters@swinburneonline.com​, travis.cox@adelaide.edu.au​, beth.ritter-guth@ucc.edu​, tmercer@msddecatur.k12.in.us​, mouldera​, Deactivated user​, sblyth@instructure.com​, tawnya.means@ufl.edu​, michelle@ou.edu​, mlattke@instructure.com​, jray11@iupui.edu​, Deactivated user​, mlove@msjc.edu​, colleen.ortega@adelaide.edu.au​, whitney.kilgore@idesignedu.org​, victoria-maloy@uiowa.edu​, arovner@shoreline.edu​, kevin@ou.edu​, lstark@instructure.com​, dtheriault​, kmiller​, bcrook@standrews-de.org​, grahamb@sfu.ca​, chofer@morainepark.edu​, floria@umd.edu​, sphoward@ccaeducate.me​, Deactivated user​, dhawley@btc.ctc.edu​, jwhite@ivey.ca​, mmorvant@ou.edu​, goodrum​, kristie.johnson@southlakecarroll.edu​, Deactivated user​, hooker.24@osu.edu​, lydia​, yotebrarian​, A00015317​, catherine_gregory@allenisd.org​, kyle.johnson@chaminade.edu​, timothy.mckean@ccs.spokane.edu​, murphy.1527@osu.edu​, sbeck@nwmissouri.edu​, ewilson@occ.cccd.edu​, lclontz@emory.edu​, straussi@erau.edu​, chriscas​, candace.girard@tufts.edu​, p.bier@auckland.ac.nz​, kdscholl@indiana.edu​, bigenhoc@greenhill.orgaharris​, dave-long@uiowa.edu​, kschneider25@alamo.edu​, 16247​, skowlaski@hccfl.edu​, msl_adm​, evans.1517@osu.edu​, eanderson3@greeleyschools.org​, jbrady2@hccfl.edu​, Adrienne.J.Gauthier@Dartmouth.edu​, np@unplag.com​, ebaker@centralia.edu​, timf@bigbend.edu​, travis.thurston@usu.edu​, Deactivated user​, jap98y​, seneman@uncc.edu​, SchaeferG@husson.edu​, stefaniesanders​, rcarney@instructure.com​, scottd@instructure.com​, biray@instructure.com

Tags (2)
182 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

InstructureCon was AMAZING. It was fun, the sessions were very good, the food was good...a conference experience unlike any other. I had a great time, but of course nothing is perfect Smiley Happy.

Easy things: Wayyyy more tents and dry places to sit!

The biggest issue with InstructureCon that I had though, is that, for lack of a better term is that it was fairly "ableist". Events/food were in fields or mulch beds which can be challenging for people with mobility issues. Sessions/activities were spread around and it was difficult to get transportation from place to place if needed. I think that this is something that must get better in future years.

Also, in my opinion, the guest pass was an awful bargain, it was a lot of money spent to eat food alone...but when compounded with standing up in the rain it was even worse.

Highlighted
Surveyor II

InstructureCon 2016 was informative, thought provoking,  and enlightening as usual. I love the new location. It got me to exercise more and network in comfortable and scenic places. The food was great for me as I have several dietary restrictions which were met with ease by the staff. For once, I was not getting sick! The topics were great. Though, several sessions were in rooms that were way to small. In my experience of being the "seasoned conference person, " I have always seen technology sessions be packed. You might want to consider putting them in larger rooms, or contemplate some kind of seat reservation system. Overall, I really enjoyed the conference. The only complaint I have is not getting any real s'mores!  Deactivated user​

Highlighted

Oooh, I forgot about the lack of s'mores Smiley Happy. And there were no camp sing alongs either!

Highlighted
Adventurer II

Overall, I thought InstructureCon was great! I have two specific issues though (and roush.94@osu.edu​ made an EXCELLENT point about mobility challenges in the terrain):

1. Inadequate space for high-interest sessions. I was happy to see the Roadmap session moved to Columbine Ballroom. But other sessions (such as the O365 integration and quizzes 2.0) should have been in larger spaces to begin with. While I appreciated being able to attend the encore presentations of each, it made for a very long day!
  2. Wifi was spotty. This made it difficult to tweet #instcon (I largely gave up after the first day), and problematic when there were things back at in the office that needed immediate addressing. Better wifi coverage in the future, please!
Highlighted
Explorer II

I found InstCon16 to be well organized and a lot of fun.

A couple things I noticed that could be improved:

The Keystone venue overall was more accessible to those with mobility impairments than the Canyons (fewer hills) however both the lunch location and the final event at the stables were not very accessible. The lunch location with the thick layering of mulch was  inaccessible for those using wheelchairs.  I'm sure those with other mobility impairments had an issue as well. Having a pathway (you can make them so they are removable) at the stables to the stage and at the lunch venue I'm sure would have been very helpful to those with disabilities. I didn't notice if the Keystone transportation buses had the ability to kneel or had ramps that folded out for those needing a ramp instead of stairs to board the bus.

I suggest finding a few people with mobility impairments, either among your clients or staff, to help inform the conference committee of the best way to allow for a barrier free experience for all attendees.

The more popular sessions; like the Quizzes and Microsoft, were jammed and it was great you guys were able to offer an additional session on those topics, but they were still overcrowded. Maybe have the conference start at noon on Tuesday to allow for the time for the more popular sessions to be on the concurrent session schedule multiple times.

And the wifi was better than last year but still spotty and slow

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Great conversation!  Overall, fantastic conference and theme!  I am a bit biased with my love of camp anyways...

1.  Agree about the accessibility/mobility issue for all.

2.  Wifi was spotty.

3.  Food was fantastic on Tuesday and Thursday night.  (can't speak much for Wednesday... Smiley Wink )

4.  I will highly recommend to everyone next year to come out a day (or more) early and get acclimated to the elevation.  I'm so glad I did.

Thinking ahead for next year:

1.  Would love to bring the family next year, but the #1 thing stopping me is the guest fee.  Way too expensive when I would only have my husband and 2 children join me only for the evening events only.

2.  The app was great to have for the first year, but definitely room for improvement.  The biggest struggle I had with it was not having the ability to add my own scheduled events beyond the sessions.  I had a half dozen meetings scheduled and missed a pretty important one because I was relying on multiple calendars, etc.   Also, having notifications would be great and the ENTIRE schedule within the app, not just sessions.   Also, having more information about the shuttles within the app would be great too.

3.  I was pretty frustrated walking from first choice and finding it was fully booked/closed and then going to the next room and it being fully booked/closed and then it wasn't working trying to figure out a 3rd and I would just end up in a lounge.   Would be really nice to have the ability to have overflow rooms with live broadcast feeds for that 1 most popular session during each time.  

4.  S'mores and guitars!  <--  That was the two missing items.   (although obviously weather-dependent)

Feedback for Keystone:

1.  NICEST Resort employees ever!!  Seriously didn't come across a single bad attitude! 

2.  CME drivers were awesome

3.  Check-in was a bit of a clusterf- after hours.  Thankful to our CME driver who knew where they were going, because we were sent a couple of different places.   Also heard of some bunking with 3 in a condo and only allowed to have 1 key for everyone, yet I was a single in my 1 bedroom condo and given 4 keys.   That didn't make sense at all. 

4.  Did I mention amazing staff?!

For being the first time at Keystone and having to plan remotely, the events and Instructure staff did a fantastic job!!  It can only improve, in my opinion!

Highlighted

I noticed the lack of accessibility as well. Having people in my family who use wheelchairs has me tuned into access issues. I also noticed that the Keystone staff had to have the lift at the Lodge and Spa repaired in the first day. I wonder if anyone verified that it was in good working order prior to the conference start? These things are notorious for breaking down usually right before they are needed.

The food was good but more variety in healthy options would be very appreciated.

Highlighted

I went to Walmart last year and picked up stuff for s'mores. Maybe having a bunch of people who are drinking in high altitude locations using pointed sticks and flaming marshmallows isn't the best idea? Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

This was the second InstructureCon that I have attended and an even better experience than the first!  It is apparent the amount of thoughtfulness that goes into planning such an experience for attendees. Two common themes of #instcon16 (from the Keynotes down to fun visuals displayed throughout the venue) were building connections and choosing openness.

I had the wonderful opportunity to present with ktesterman@ccaeducate.me​ and share our Canvas journey and ideas which continued the conversation about sharing PD resources and established so many wonderful collaborative opportunities in the future! Sharing innovative ideas and collaborating with educators around the world (bringing the knowledge of the room or this case the whole canvas community together) to make an impact on an exponential amount of students not just my own is something I continually strive to achieve. I was moved to see it on display at the conference and has brought me into the Canvas community even more!

Looking forward to #instcon2017 Smiley Happy