Analytics Beta is an opt-in LTI tool installed at the account level and can be made visible in all courses. Currently, Analytics Beta is only available at the course level for admin, instructor, TA, and designer roles. Students and observer roles cannot view analytics through this tool.
Data is refreshed in Analytics Beta every 24 hours. Only active student enrollments are included in data for Analytics Beta.
Users participating in Analytics Beta can provide feedback in the Analytics Beta User Group about future analytics feature development. This tool will eventually replace the current analytics feature at the account, course, and user levels.
Analytics Beta Performance
Analytics Beta performance is measured using a course weight, which is the number of students in a course multiplied by the number of assignments. The majority of Canvas courses carry a course weight of less than 50,000 (students x assignments). Any courses with a higher course weight are not currently supported.
Analytics Beta Access
Analytics Beta can be accessed from Course Navigation. By default, this link is hidden in Course Navigation in each course and must be enabled.
To enable Analytics Beta, open Course Settings and view the Navigation tab. Move the Analytics Beta link to the enabled section and save the page.
Note: Admins can remove the Analytics Beta LTI from Account Settings. If the Analytics Beta link is not available in the Navigation tab for a course, Analytics Beta is not available for the entire institution.
When Would I Use Analytics Beta?
Currently, Analytics Beta allows instructors to track average course grades for student submissions using an interactive chart graph or table. Data is for viewing only and cannot directly be changed.
Page views and participation metrics include an aggregate across all devices, including Canvas mobile apps.
Use Analytics Beta to:
- View average course grade analytics as an interactive chart graph or a data table
- Compare the course average with an individual assignment, course section, or student filter using the chart graph comparison or data table comparison
- View average weekly online participation analytics as an interactive chart graph or a data table
- Compare the course average weekly online participation analytics with an individual student or section using the chart graph comparison or data table comparison
- Send a message to all students based on specific course grade or participation criteria
- Send a message to an individual student based on specific course grade or participation criteria
- View course grade and participation analytics for an individual student