Getting Started with Canvas as a Student

Community Team
Community Team
42 19 134K

Starting your first online course using Canvas? Get up and running in under 30 minutes with these overview videos. Learn how to use Canvas, set your notification preferences, use the Canvas Student app, navigate the dashboard, and access and submit assignments.

19 Comments
Surveyor

I'm having issues accessing my classes since I can't see anything on Canvas. Are you able to email me with help on this?

Surveyor

I was told i need to hit the advisory course tile, but i can not find it. Can anyone tell me where it is?

Surveyor

My sons teachers are sending links for meetings using Microsoft. I do not have Microsoft set up on my desktop computer or my Android phone. What do I need to do to access these meetings?

Community Team
Community Team

@4723646892 it's difficult to know exactly why you can't see anything in Canvas without more detail. Are you able to log in and see your Dashboard? If you can't access courses on the dashboard, try clicking the Courses link and then click All Courses. If you still can't see anything, please contact our Canvas Support team (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-get-help-with-Canvas-as-a-student/ta-p/498)

Thanks,

- Nathan

Community Team
Community Team

@RobertSpiser you may need to view all of your courses to see that particular course. Instructions on how to do that are here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-view-all-my-Canvas-courses-as-an-instru...

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

Community Team
Community Team

@Chelefulton the meetings are probably for Microsoft Teams. You can learn more about Teams here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-teams/group-chat-software

Thanks,

- Nathan

Surveyor

yeahhhhh

Surveyor

A good introduction to Canvas for a new user.

Surveyor

I have logged into canvas both n the webpage and on the app and none of my classes have shown up even though my teachers have said t they have posted assignments. yes i have tried to ass courses but no courses pop up to be selected  

Community Coach
Community Coach

HI there @akohler871 

I'm wondering about the possibility that your course is hidden. Try clicking 'Courses' in the left hand global navigation menu. Then select 'All Courses'. 

A list of all courses you are enrolled in will appear there. If you colour in the star to the left of the title of the courses you want to appear on the Dashboard that might remedy your situation. 

Sing out if you need a hand. 

Surveyor

There is no classes on Canvas for OMS 7th grade. 

Surveyor

I registered on Friday.  How long does it take for the class to show on Canvas?  My class starts on Wednesday. 

Surveyor

Hi, I am a new grad student, first time user of Canvas. Under my Dashboard > Courses it says "You are not enrolled in any courses" but under that it says Future enrollments and lists my class that starts next week. My professor had sent an email saying it would be available starting 9/1. Am I just too early and need to wait for it to become a "current class" or is there something else I need to do to view it? Thanks for your help!

Surveyor

This helped me work canvas because its new and I didn't know how to work it.

Surveyor

I got it now

Surveyor

I feel that getting used to a new website will be most difficult for me.

Surveyor

Able to connect with other teachers, all except homeroom teacher, how do I contact and connect with her online/

Surveyor

Good morning, my name is Dumorney Dumezan, I am taking a zoom class for four weeks. Since I started taking the class, I see everyone on cameras and I hear them but when I talk, they cannot hear me. Can you please help me solving that problem? Or another word, you can email me the details to solve that problem. My email address is: ddumorney@yahoo.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance,

Dumorney Dumezan

Surveyor

my teacher told me her slides are posted on Canvas, but I can't find them. Can you help me?

My email is cm562@yahoo.com