Getting Started with Canvas as a Student

Community Team
Community Team
9 13 75.7K

If you are new to Canvas, this page will provide you with some essential resources so you can create an account, familiarize yourself with Canvas, and participate in your Canvas courses.

Canvas Guides

The Canvas Student Guide has over 200 lessons that each answer a question that relates to using the Canvas interface as a student. Included below is a selection of lessons that will introduce you to the basics of Canvas. Each lesson also includes Next and Previous links so you can easily navigate to related content.

Account Setup

Before you can do anything in Canvas, you'll need an account and the URL for your institution's Canvas website. View the lessons below for help with setting up your account, logging in, and managing your user settings.

Canvas Basics

Once your account is set up, take a minute to familiarize yourself with the Canvas user interface. The lessons below will show you how to navigate Canvas and use a few of the tools that link across all your courses.

Course Basics

Within a Canvas course, you can submit assignments, participate in discussions, view grades, and collaborate with other students. What is available in your course will depend on what has been implemented by your instructor. View the lessons below for some of the basics of Canvas courses.

Canvas Student App

Canvas also has a free mobile app available for iOS and Android that is specifically tailored to students. View information about the Student app below.

Additional Resources

13 Comments
Surveyor

just trying to figure this out.

Surveyor

How do you purchase online software needed for your classes through canvas?

Surveyor

🖐

Surveyor

just trying to get used to it

Surveyor II

First timer on here (and a bit lost:) but still trying to figure it all out. Best of Luck everyone!

Surveyor

just trying to figure everything out!

Surveyor

How do you set up your email on here?

Surveyor

hello ever one

i am new to this

Surveyor

hello every one I just try try to figure out every thing

Surveyor

I am having a hard time getting to global navigation menu. It's actually starting to frustrate me. Can someone please show me step by step how to get there? Please just don't say its on the left of every page because that doesn't help me. I would really appreciate it! Thank you and have a good night!

Surveyor

very nice

Community Coach
Community Coach

HI @Jaheen I understand.

Here's a screenshot of what the Global Navigation Menu is. It's highlighted in yellow.

GN.PNG

Sing out if you need a hand. 

Surveyor

1. Where is the timetable, so i can know which class i have to go.

2. What is module, I don't understand and every class has them, definition please.

3. How do i submit my assignment, my teacher explained it to everyone but I was confused and forgot so please help me

4. Some of the classes have no link or they don't have passcode.