cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jordan
Community Champion

InstructureCon 2016 Post-Conference Feedback

Home.pngSchedule.pngFood & Fun.pngPartners.pngHelp & FAQ.png

tl;dr: This is an open discussion where you all can publicly share your qualitative thoughts and feedback about InstructureCon 2016! Please post before reading the comments from others. Then feel free to reply to others!

Once again we were stunned by another kumbayawesome InstructureCon! Fortunately the great sessions, ideas, and connections we made, can live on within our Canvas Community and in the InstructureCon 2016 community space! Remember that you can keep the conversation alive, around each breakout session, by adding comments! This is a great way to connect with the presenters and share thoughts/ideas with other participants.

Please be sure to take that survey that our marketing team sends out, so we can make instcon even better next year. That quantitative feedback is invaluable.

In addition we wanted to have an open discussion where you all can publicly share your qualitative thoughts and feedback about InstructureCon 2016!

Here's some things you might want to talk about: the sessions, the keynotes, the activities, the online schedule, the app, the booths, the venue, opportunities to connect, ideas for the Community Team to improve community interaction and engagement.

Thanks for your help Canvas Community...  We ❤️ you!

Onward and upward!

PS... Don't forget to add all those kumbayawesome photos you took, to the Camp Canvas Photo Gallery...

add_pic_to gallery.png​​

photo_gallery2.png

In your responses please @mention other community friends or use the "Share" tool to encourage others to offer their feedback as well!

Let's kick off this discussion with some @mentions:

@klundstrum ​,  @jward ​,  @tom_gibson ​,  @kub26 ​, kdfrench​,  @rseilham ​,  @ckofeldt ​,  @ktesterman1 ,  @roush_94 ​, amber_morse​,  @dlyons ​,  @mjevins ​,  @hyrum ​, lalevesque​,  @mfgu ​, kbeimfohr​,  @jasond ​,  @britain_woodman ​, regina_mccurdy​,  @hsiao_62 ​, shortridge​,  @stuart_ryan ​, lambj​ @lindalee ​, awilliams​,  @thatcher_bohrma ​,  @crystal_trotter ​, Deactivated user​, 985706039​, bsargent​,  @bwalters ​,  @travis_cox ​,  @beth_ritter-gut ​,  @tmercer ​, mouldera​, Deactivated user​, sblyth​,  @tawnya_means ​,  @michellemeazell ​,  @mlattke ​, jray11​, Deactivated user​, mlove​,  @colleen_ortega ​, whitney.kilgore​,  @victoria-maloy ​,  @arovner ​,  @kevin1 ​,  @lstark ​, dtheriault​, kmiller​,  @bcrook ​,  @grahamb ​,  @chofer ​, floria​, sphoward​, Deactivated user​, dhawley​, jwhite​, mmorvant​, goodrum​,  @kristie_johnson ​, Deactivated user​, hooker.24​, lydia​, yotebrarian​, A00015317​, catherine_gregory​,  @kyle_johnson ​,  @timothy_mckean ​,  @murphy_1527 ​,  @sbeck1 ​,  @ewilson ​,  @lclontz ​,  @straussi ​, chriscas​,  @candace_girard ​,  @p_bier ​,  @kdscholl ​, bigenhocaharris​,  @dave-long ​,  @kschneider25 ​, 16247​,  @skowlaski ​, msl_adm​, evans.1517​, eanderson3​,  @jbrady2 ​,  @Adrienne_J_Gaut ​,  @np ​,  @ebaker ​, timf​,  @travis_thurston ​, Deactivated user​, jap98y​, seneman​,  @SchaeferG ​, stefaniesanders​,  @Renee_Carney ​,  @scottdennis ​,  @biray ​

Tags (2)
182 Replies

Hey, I had a couple of times (not at the conference but outside) asking for a Lemon, Lime and Bitters... only to get a very strange look. Haha I eventually realised to ask for Sprite, Lime and Bitters. Having said that, Coke products would be awesome also!

dhulsey
Community Champion

Coke is always welcome,  @rseilham ​!

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@bakerg  ...   Aha!  A second Windows phone user!?  I knew there was as least two of us!  :smileycheck:

Cherie_Lakes
Community Member

Good:

I loved loved loved the conference!  I was so excited about all the new things I learned and about what is coming up! The Canvas people are hugely nice.  I felt each was hand picked because they had great personalities! 

Bad: 

I felt like the venue could have been better picked.   Yes, it was beautiful but two flights and then an hour and half ride through the mountains was a very big travel day.   I have been to many conferences that didn't require that much work/time just to attend.   It also was not set up well for eating.  I do not enjoy standing up to eat while holding my drink in the rain so I began going back to my condo.   Great exercise though!  When I have gone to other conferences they had big tables where you would sit with other people from different schools and we would have the most interesting conversations - I missed that.

All and all  a big thumbs up Smiley Happy

kub26
Community Participant

I was a first-time attendee this year, and I had a wonderful time at InstructureCon! I learned a lot, met some great people, and really enjoyed the experience overall. A few more specific pros/cons/suggestions below (imho):

Sessions

Pro: Lots of great topics to choose from in the various breakout sessions.

Con: All of the sessions I went to were pretty talky and not very interactive. There wasn't generally much time for Q&A or for more in-depth engagement with the speakers where they could show you in more detail HOW they were accomplishing some of the various things they were doing.

Pro & Con: I'll also say that in the sessions led by instructure folks (roadmap, quizzes, etc.) it was great to see more details about what is on the horizon. But, while I totally get that timelines have to be flexible, even wide windows of potential release dates were hard to come by. It would be great if some of that could be worked out in advance, so the presenters can feel comfortable sharing at least tentative timelines for changes/ new features.

Suggestion: Maybe sessions with a potential interactive/hands-on component could be given a longer timeslot and maybe a room with tables to accommodate people bringing laptops? Maybe you could use one of the booths or rooms to set up a few computers and schedule some small-group follow-up discussions/work sessions with willing presenters. The "open lounge" could have been a good spot for this, but it was nearly empty any time I wandered over there.

Staff

Pro: Plenty of staff on hand to point you in the right direction, hand out ponchos, give you a demo in one of the booths, etc. and everyone was super friendly. Special shout-out to the dev folks in the UX tent! They were all very nice, willing to share what they're working on, and really receptive to feedback.

Con: None. Everyone was lovely.

Pro: It was frickin beautiful in Keystone. The mornings were lovely, and there is no way to control the monsoons, so I wasn't bothered by the rain itself. The rooms were generally large enough to accomodate the audience, and while travel between buildings was sometimes a hassle, I think it was a reasonable tradeoff for the location.

Con: Not enough places to get out of the rain during meals/events. Handing out ponchos was a great idea, and I had rain gear, but by the last night, I was a little tired of standing in the rain.

Social Media

Pro: I use Twitter pretty heavily when attending conferences, because it's how I document the experience for later review and share it with colleagues in real-time. The social media folks seemed to be pretty on top of sharing things via twitter and retweeting interesting posts, so I appreciated that.

Con/Suggestion: It would be great to have an easy way to find the presenters on Twitter (if that's something they use). Not everyone is searchable by name, so maybe social media links from the session info in the app or from the event page on the community site would be helpful?

k_zakharchenko
Community Participant

Inctructurecon 2016. How it was?

First of all, Keystone resort is the best place to make people engaged, happy and relaxed. It’s some kind of a summer camp with a lot of different activities, sessions, and fun, so that each guest can find a very own way to feel the excitement. 

IMG_2016-07-22_093738_HDR.jpg

What was great?

• Instructurecon conference app – it’s really amazing tool to check the schedule, create own agenda, view the Keystone map, book a transfer from the airport to resort and back, check info about partners, speakers, etc.
  • Customer support – nothing compares to those amazing and helpful guys from support! There wasn’t any issue that they cannot resolve.
  • Free WiFi
  • Awesome networking opportunity – there was a lot of interesting guys to talk and to exchange views about current situation and innovative opportunities in today’s learning, and to have fun! Thanks to  @scarniol  from Galen College for mentoring me, you revealed all the secrets of baseball to me, now I feel fully upgraded on this matter! I will practice my new skills, promise you!
  • Entertainment & Giveaways – Game Nights and Outdoor Movies was really great and exciting, I wish I could join morning yoga sessions but I couldn’t overcome my deep sleep.  International Reception brought to us a lot fun with guys from Ireland and special applause to tpriester from Sydney who made our evening special and filled with a lot of crazy and hilarious stories.

Also it was the best giveaways I’ve ever seen – what a beautiful backpacks, t-shirts, sweaters and bottles, it’s definitely not that kind of gifts to throw away afterward! I will keep them all! Smiley Happy

IMG_2016-07-20_221822_1.jpg

Cons:

• For all the guys whose travelling overseas it’s a really big challenge to get to Denver and to the resort itself, but the beauty of nature compensates everything. For next year fair it would be nice to choose some location not so far from the main road links and the airport.
  • Catering: It was good arranged, but there was a lack of healthy food.
  • No information about possible troubles with health on this attitude and what to do in case something goes wrong. Even with young guys at that altitude mountain sickness can make mischief, and yes… it had happened to me… Thanks God and Deactivated user from Instcon support team - I am still alive. Smiley Happy

The overall impression is really amazing. Love you guys, you are awesome!

DrNufer
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Good grief.  Smiley Wink

DrNufer
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I don't drink alcohol, so I would gladly use my tickets on other things.  I concur, as a Floridian that 9'k altitude left me out of breath at times. 

egosliga
Community Member

InstructureCon- great job this year! My personal opinion, InstructureCon 2016 as a whole was much better than InstructureCon 2015!

• Theme: I thought that the theme was on point this year- much, much better than last year's theme. I was very impressed with the level of detail and planning that went this year's conference. Even Bridge, also owned by Instructure, had mugs that perfectly fit the "camping" theme. Great job!
  • Swag: Also, with a better theme comes better swag. Not that swag is the real reason we are there... but it definitely adds to the conference fun.
  • Food: In addition to the great theme and swag this year was food and food accommodations. The food was just fantastic- best camp food I've ever had! Smiley Wink  I appreciated that they also had vegetable and salad options with pretty much every meal so that you could still get your health food in while at a conference with so much food. This year overall had much more, better options than Instructurecon 2015.
  • Sessions: Overall, I'd say that I enjoyed the sessions more this year as well-- I can easily see that a lot of universities are tuning more into Canvas Data and using analytics. Coming from an institution that is data hungry, I definitely enjoyed this and would like to see more sessions with these topics so that I and my team can learn from what other institutions are doing regarding data. My true wish is that some of the sessions would get a little more into the nitty gritty behind what they are presenting on. I'd like to see "how" they are doing what they have accomplished instead of pure discussion around it. I understand complexity and time limitations, but a quick example would be a really helpful take away. There were two sessions that I sat in on this year that did a pretty good job, but I would encourage more!
  • Wifi: I believe the wifi was better, but it was definitely still very spotty for me. If you were one of the last ones tro try to connect to the network- good luck! Maybe even better wifi for next year?
  • Location: I thought the location was incredible! Beautiful spot! It was much easier to get from one session to another this year since the sessions were much closer together. Last year you would have to trek from the Hyatt all the way to Silverado and then back to the Hyatt again for a different session. I'm all about getting my exercise, but this year it was just easier to get from session to session.
  • App: This was an outstanding addition to this year's conference! Incredible helpful- it kept my schedule, sent conference-wide alerts for any need-to-know notifications or changes. Well done!
  • Hack night: For our team hack night this year was really beneficial. We were able to work alongside one of the engineers to fix a few issues we have been dealing with for sometime. Although, our one struggle was that it was a little difficult to find the location.
  • Overall, great, great job! Thanks Instructure for putting on a great conference this year!
cms_hickss
Community Contributor

I'm one of those that enjoy Pepsi over Coke. Smiley Happy So I was very happy to see Diet Pepsi available. The Canyons (previous location) was a Coke Products place. But this often has less to do with the Conference itself and more to do with the location and who they have partnered with. [This goes for hotel chains, airports, theme parks, restaurant chains, some universities, etc.]