cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a Canvas Studio video quiz in a course?

How do I create a Canvas Studio video quiz in a course?

Instructors, teacher assistants (TAs), designers, and Canvas Studio account admins can create quizzes from their My Uploads page in Studio.

Notes:

• Quizzes must be created from your My Uploads page.
  • Multiple choice, true or false, and multiple answer questions are supported.
  • Multiple quizzes can be added to a media file.
  • If the quiz creation option does not display in Studio, this feature has not been enabled in your account. Please contact your admin for more information.
  • If you share a video, any quizzes on the video will not be shared.

Create Quiz

In the My Library page, locate the media to base your quiz on, click the Options icon [1], and then click the Create Quiz link [2].

Add Quiz Details

Add Quiz Details

In the Video Quiz Title field [1], enter the name of the quiz.

In the Description field [2], enter an optional description.

To hide question markers in the embedded quiz, click the Hide question markers on timeline for students toggle button [3].

Click the Get Started button [4].

Add Questions

To create a quiz question, click the Add button. The Add button appears when the media is paused.

Select Question Type

To add a question, click the Multiple Choice [1], True or False [2], or Multiple Answer [3] question type option.

Edit Multiple Choice Question Details

In the Question Stem field [1], add a question stem. The question stem contains the question and, if necessary, additional information.

To add answers to the question, type the answers in the Answer fields [2]. To select the correct answer, click the button next to that answer [3].

To add an additional answer choice, click the Add Answer link [4]. To delete an answer, click the Delete icon [5].

Click the Save button [6].

Vary Points by Answer

To vary points based on student responses, click the Vary points by answer checkbox [1].

With this option selected, you can set specific point totals for each option by typing the point value in the Points field [2] or using the arrows to increase or decrease the point value [3].

Shuffle Multiple Choice Answer Choices

To shuffle answer choices, click the Shuffle Choices checkbox [1]. To lock an answer in its location, click the Lock icon [2]. To unlock a locked question, click the Unlock icon [3].

Edit True or False Question Details

In the Question Stem field [1], add a question stem. The question stem contains the question and, if necessary, additional information.

To select the correct answer for the question, click the button next to the True [2] or False [3] option.

Click the Save button [4].

Edit Multiple Answer Question Details

To add answers to the question, type the answers in the Answer fields [2]. To select the correct answer(s), click the checkbox next to that answer [3].

To add an additional answer choice, click the Add Answer link [4]. To delete an answer, click the Delete icon [5].

Click the Save button [6].

Shuffle Multiple Answer Choices

To shuffle answer choices, click the Shuffle Choices checkbox [1]. To lock an answer in its location, click the Lock icon [2]. To unlock a locked question, click the Unlock icon [3].

Add Quiz Question Feedback

To add question feedback, click the Question Feedback link [1].

You can enter comments for students to view for a correct answer [2], for an incorrect answer[3], and to provide general feedback [4]. Students can view question feedback after submitting the quiz.

View Questions

The question mark icons in the timeline show the questions in the media [1]. To edit an existing question, hover your cursor over the question mark icon, and click the Edit icon [2].

To review the video quiz questions while the video plays, click the Play button [3].

Return to Media

Return to Media

When you are done editing your video quiz, click the Done button.

View Media with Quiz

On the My Library page, locate the media with the quiz. Click the Options icon [1], hover over the Quizzes link [2], and then view the name of the created quiz [3].

For users to take the quiz, the media must be embedded in Canvas.

Note: Once a version of a quiz has been embedded or taken, it cannot be edited.

Comments

Is it possible to provide feedback on the questions as the students take the quiz rather than after it's submitted?

Hi @bayazitoglu,

Thanks for your question. Currently, feedback on Studio video quizzes is only available after the student has submitted the quiz. If you're interested, I recommend checking out the Ideas forum to see if anyone else has submitted this idea. Please feel free to submit an idea if one doesn't already exist and let our product team know how this functionality would be beneficial in your courses.

Thanks!

Emily

For some reason, when I click on the 3 dots to create a quiz on my video, I do not see the option to create a quiz. Is this a glitch, or am I doing something wrong? I only see the options to share the video, move, or delete media. Please see attached screenshot. Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 8.52.54 AM.png

I am having a similar issue as Joseph Vincent. There is no option to create a quiz. I don't know if it matters, but the video I am using is an MP4 file stored on my computer.

Screenshot 2020-08-20 14.24.37.png

Joseph Vincent and kelli_amaral, 

Could it be that you are viewing Studio inside a particular course? I believe to get the quiz option, you need to click the Studio button in the far left menu of Canvas where you'd find Commons, Inbox, and Help. 

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your response. I am accessing studio from where you have said (on the same menu as commons, etc.), as show in the image below. I'm wondering if it is because I need to be in "My uploads" which I am unable to find? I only seem to be able to find "My library" in studio. When I access the video from the button that you mentioned, the quiz option still does not appear. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 8.43.35 PM.png

Is it possible to have more than 1 question at a quiz point in the video?  I would like to ask three successive questions.

Hi @jvincent91 & @kelli_amaral , thank you for your questions! I'm sorry you've encountered this issue. If the quiz creation option isn't displaying for you, this feature may not be enabled in your accounts. Your schools' admins should have more information on that for you.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else! 

Thanks,

Tami

Hi @bestks,

That is a great question. As far as I know, unfortunately multiple quiz questions cannot be added at a single point in a video. Your best option is likely to add separate questions as closely timed as possible in the timeline. If you're interested, I recommed creating an Idea conversation for this functionality.

Thanks!

Emily

Hello! I finally got the quiz function to work! Now I am curious if it is possible to share a video quiz with another teacher (I co-teach a class with another teacher). It seems like it may only be possible to share the video itself, but not the embedded questions? Thanks again for your help!

Best,

Joseph

Hi @jvincent91, thanks for your question. Unfortunately. quizzes added to a video are not included when the video is shared. 

Thanks,

Emily

Is there a way to keep youtube's captions on the video I am creating the quiz in? I am not able to turn them on/off when after I added the video to Canvas Studio.

Hi @ASawamura, thanks for your question. Unfortunately, YouTube's API restricts captions from coming with the video when it is added to Studio. 

Thanks,

Emily

@ASawamuraHowever, you can request that Studio create automatically generated captions for you which you can edit for accuracy.  I found the editing to be simple to use.

@kelli_amaral  Where can I find that?

@ASawamuraFrom within Studio you click on the video you want, then click on Captions.

InkedScreenshot 2020-09-04 09.48.38_LI.jpgThen you choose your language from the dropdown menu on the left under Captions Request. And click request. You will get an email notification when the captions are ready. I haven't really paid attention, but I think it has always been less than 24 hours for them to be done. Once they are done, when you go back to the video in Studio and click on Captions it will say Manage Captions and you can click on Review and Publish. Then it will show the captions like this:

Screenshot 2020-09-04 09.55.30.pngIf the video is long there will be lots of scrolling, but you can listen to the video and edit the captions as you go. Usually the captions do need to be edited. But I also tend to talk quickly, so if you speak more slowly it may be better.

Fantastic! I was looking there before but didn't know what I was doing, haha. Thank you @kelli_amaral 

Hello @tbooth, I am a school admin (brand new) and I believe we have turned on ability for teachers to create video quizzes. But I still cannot find My Uploads, and I cannot see any quiz option on uploaded media.

Jim

Hi @jbwhite10 ! Thank you for reaching out. Were you able to find your My Uploads page and create video quizzes? If not, I'd recommend logging in directly to the Studio site as an admin to view your My Uploads page. You can find the Studio site by following the directions in this guide.

From there, you should be able to access the My Uploads page and use video quizzing if it has been enabled in your account.

Thanks!
Tami

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
5 of 5
Last update:
‎09-03-2020 12:39 PM
Updated by: