cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I embed a Canvas Studio video quiz in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?

How do I embed a Canvas Studio video quiz in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?

In Canvas, instructors, teacher assistants (TAs), designers, and Canvas Studio account admins can embed video quizzes from Studio in any feature area that contains the Rich Content Editor, including Assignments, Discussions, and Pages. Media is embedded using the Studio LTI tool.

Notes: 

• Quizzes must be created from your My Uploads page.
  • Once a version of a quiz has been embedded or taken, it cannot be edited.
  • If the quiz creation option does not display in Studio, this feature has not been enabled in your account. Please contact your admin for more information.

Open Studio in Rich Content Editor

Open Studio in Rich Content Editor

Open any Canvas feature area that supports the Rich Content Editor, such as Discussions, Assignments, or Pages. Click the Studio icon [1].

If the Studio icon does not display in the menu bar, click the More External Tools icon [2]. This icon appears when there are more than three LTI apps configured for the Rich Content Editor. The placement order is based on when the LTI tool was added for a course or account.

Open Studio in New Rich Content Editor

Open Studio in New Rich Content Editor

In the New Rich Content Editor, click the More Options icon [1] and then click the Apps icon [2].

In the Select App modal, click the Studio link [3].

Locate Media

Locate Media

By default, the Studio Embed Window displays the My Library page.

To search for a video or audio file, click the Search icon.

Select Media

Select Media

In the Studio Embed Window, hover over the media with a quiz icon you want to embed and click the Select This button.

Select Quiz

Select Quiz

In the Video Quiz Embed tab [1], click the Quiz drop-down menu [2], and select the quiz you want to embed with the media.

Embed Media

Choose Media

Click the Embed button.

Publish Media

Publish Media

To publish your content immediately, click the Save & Publish button [1]. To save your content as a draft, click the Save button [2].

Comments

I was able to embed the video as a quiz, however my students are telling me that it shows the loading symbol forever and the video does not load. This is the only way I found that I can see the students progress - seeing who watched the entire video and who just skipped around or did not watch the video at all. I would like to use this feature for grading, but if I have to just embed the video NOT as a quiz I cannot see who has viewed the video or how long they are watching it. Is anyone else having this issue of an embedded quiz not loading for students?

Hi @whitec3 , thank you for your question. You should be able to see the analytics for your video (which students watched it and how long they watched) no matter where you upload the studio video in your Canvas course. This guide should help you access those analytics. If you have any further questions, please let us know!

Thanks,
Tami

I had the same problem as whitec3 with one of the videos, it was loading forever but never played. I wanted to delete it from the page, but couldn't figure out how to delete the video. it seems that once embedded in the page can't be deleted. Is there any way to do it? I ended up deleting the whole page and started all over again.

Thanks,

Patricia

Hi @sailingmoore,

Thanks for your question. After you have embedded the video in the page you should be able to use the backspace key on your keyboard to delete the video, if needed. I've made a task for our team to add a step to this lesson showing what the embedded video looks like before you save and/or publish your content. 

I hope this helps!

Emily

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
5 of 5
Last update:
‎09-03-2020 12:39 PM
Updated by: