cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I post Canvas Studio video quiz results in the Gradebook?

How do I post Canvas Studio video quiz results in the Gradebook?

Canvas Studio video quizzes can be added to a Canvas assignment, and quiz results are posted in the Canvas gradebook.

Notes:

• Studio must be enabled.
  • Quizzes must be created from your My Uploads page.
  • Once a version of a quiz has been embedded or taken, it cannot be edited.
  • If the quiz creation option does not display in Studio, this feature has not been enabled in your account. Please contact your admin for more information.

Create Quiz

In the My Library page, locate the media to base your quiz on, click the Options icon [1], and then click the Create Quiz link [2].

Open Canvas Assignments

Open Canvas Assignments

In Canvas Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.

Create Canvas Assignment

Create Canvas Assignment

In the Assignments page, click the Add Assignment button.

Add Assignment Details

Add Assignment Details

Fill in the assignment details. In the Submission Type drop-down menu, select the External Tool option [1]. To add a video quiz to the assignment, click the Find button [2].

Configure External Tool Assignment

Configure External Tool Assignment

In the Configure External Tool window, click the Studio link [1] and click the Select button [2].

Locate Studio Video Quiz

Locate Studio Video Quiz

Locate the media with the video quiz and click the Select This button.

Select Quiz

Select Quiz

In the Video Quiz Embed tab [1], click the Quiz drop-down menu [2], and select the quiz you want to embed with the media in the assignment.

Click the Embed button [3].

Save and Publish

Save and Publish

If you are ready to publish your assignment, click the Save & Publish button [1]. If you want to create a draft of your assignment and publish it later, click the Save button [2].

View Assignment

View Assignment

View the assignment with the added video quiz. Once a student takes the quiz, the grades associated with the quiz are displayed in the Canvas gradebook.

View Gradebook

View Gradebook

View the student quiz results in the gradebook. Grades are calculated based on the number of questions in the Studio quiz and the Canvas assignment point value.

Comments

so I tried these step and the grades do not show in the grade book. Does anyone else have this problem? 

I am having the same issue.  The grades are not appearing in the gradebook, but the assignment is in the gradebook.

This is missing a step. Right before the section titled "Save and Publish" to save the External Tool, they should click the Select button. Some faculty don't know what to do at that point and click the X, but that doesn't work.

Me too. Assignment is in the gradebook, students have taken the quiz, summary results are available, but no student scores in the gradebook. I can only see the results in quiz results under student results. 

I am having the same issue.  This is so frustrating because finally I had a tool to ensure students watched the whole video!! But I do not have any scores.

@RhondaBI do not have any Select Button after I click on embed quiz.  Is it possible for you to post a video detailing the steps?

Hi @sschatzke@kwarkent@RhondaB@qtlmap, and @jysuresh, thanks for your comments! I'm unable to reproduce any issues with Studio quiz results not posting to the gradebook in our instance. I recommend double-checking your assignment settings to verify the video has been added as an external tool and not embedded in the rich content editor. If you are still seeing issues after verifying your settings, please reach out to Canvas Support so they can take a closer look.

Thanks,

Emily

Hi Emily

I chose the external tool in the rich content editor rather than in the submission details. I will make sure to choose it in the submission next time.

Lara

@emily_allen , in my experience, the steps in this article are working for the most part. However, it is still skipping one step.  

Current text:

In the Video Quiz Embed tab [1], click the Quiz drop-down menu [2], and select the quiz you want to embed with the media in the assignment.

Click the Embed button [3].

Save and Publish

Needed text:

In the Video Quiz Embed tab [1], click the Quiz drop-down menu [2], and select the quiz you want to embed with the media in the assignment.

Click the Embed button [3].

>>>>>

studio select.jpg

Click the Select button.

>>>>>

Save and Publish

Thanks, @RhondaB! I've made a task for us to review this lesson and make any necessary updates. 🙂

Emily

This DOES NOT WORK --- when you copy courses or import the content/module.

One has to START OVER and create a new assignment per the steps above or there are no grades entered in the grade book ...sigh. 

I have followed everything I can see and retried this several times, but I still have the issue of the grades not appearing in the grade book when I use the quiz feature. 

I really love this feature in Canvas, but it seems to me there are programming issues that need to be addressed. Please fix this soon. 

Thanks for you comment, @Fursty, and I'm sorry for any inconvenience. We will take a look at this lesson and make any updates to let other users know about Studio video quizzes and course import limitations. 

Hi @jholtry1, if you added the Studio media and quiz using the external tool assignment option (and not by embedding the media in the Rich Content Editor) and you are not seeing results in the Gradebook, please reach out to Canvas Support so they can take a closer look.

Thanks,

Emily 

Okay guys, I was having the same issue and I've got this now.

1) Do NOT embed the Studio quiz in the Rich Content Editor.

2) DO instead enter the submission type in the assignment details as an external tool. Choose "Canvas Studio." 

3) When your video quiz comes up, hit "select." Then DO NOT hit standard embed. Hit "video quiz embed."

4) Then you will see your quiz info populate in the external tool line. HOWEVER, like another commentor posted, you are NOT DONE. You then have to hit "SELECT" again where it is showing the external tool. It seems like an extra, unnecessary step, but you must do it for this to work. (FYI you have to do this same thing when using Office 365 as an external tool.)

5) Add your groups and due dates, and hit save/save and publish.

6) Go back to your homepage and choose student view. Navigate to your video quiz and take it like a student would so that you have a test student to verify that it is working. FYI, Studio/gradebook saves your highest grade. At the end of your video, hit "submit," then view test results to check your score.

7) Leave student view, and as a teacher go to your gradebook. Find your assignment and scroll to the test student. Your grade will MOST LIKELY be there. If not, it still worked...just click in the square where the grade SHOULD be showing, and select "speedgrader." When you do this...guess what? Your grade is there. So, it's possible that you may have to quickly run through speedgrader to make sure all the assignments show, but hey, it all works!

*Thanks for everyone's help in this thread. It took me hours to fix, but I'm good now. I hope it helps someone else!

Now that I have scores in my grade book, I would really like those who didn't take the quiz to show up as a pink missing box.  What do I do to make that happen?  It just doesn't show a score and doesn't effect their grade.

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
5 of 5
Last update:
‎09-03-2020 12:39 PM
Updated by: