cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I record a video with a webcam in Canvas Studio?

How do I record a video with a webcam in Canvas Studio?

You can record a video using your webcam in Canvas Studio. Videos can be recorded from any page in your account. You can record media for any length of time, but shorter video recordings under 5 minutes long are recommended due to browser resource limitations.

Notes:

• Studio webcam capture is only supported by Chrome and Firefox browsers. If you use an unsupported browser, Studio will ask you to switch browsers.
  • You may need to allow the browser to access your camera and microphone.
  • Studio webcam capture creates a webM video.
  • For more information about how screen readers work with recording a video in Studio, please visit Accessibility within Studio.

Record Video

Record Video

To record a video, click the Record button [1], then click the Webcam Capture link [2].

Allow Access

Allow Access Chrome and Firefox

To give access to your computer's microphone and camera, click the Allow button.

Start Recording

Click the Start Recording button.

Finish Recording

Finish Recording

When your video recording is done, click the Finish button.

Save Recording

Save Recording

View the recording. Enter a title in the title field [1] and click the Save button [2]. If you want to record again, click the Start Over button [3].

View Recording

View Recording

In the My Library page, view your video recording. Once the recording is processed, you can manage all controls and settings.

Comments

I believe that I will frequently used the ability to create shot video of less than 5 minutes in Canvas Studio. To provide a brief message and to reinforce instructions. Also, it will provide a way to "personally" present a problem 

Glad to hear that, @robert_lord1! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. 

Naomi

If you choose audio only, how do you name it? 

Hi @JHanlon,

If you create an audio only recording using the record functionality in Studio, after you finish recording you should see a field to add a name for the recording, similar to the Save Recording image above. Also, after the recording is uploaded, you can edit the name from the media's details page

I hope this helps!

Emily

I'm on a MacBook Air, is there a way to connect a different camera source to use as the webcam in Studio rather than the built in FaceTime HD camera?

We have older document cameras, Red Dukane 335 and a Promethean and an iPevo V4k and old Canon PowerShot SD450...) we were hoping to be able to repurpose some of this equipment. So far none of them work. I figured I'd ask here just in case there is a solution! 

Im so lost....

Not sure how to use this

thanks for the tip about web browser.

Hi @ABJr , is there something specific about using Studio that we can help you with? Please let us know!

Thanks,

Tami

Is there a way to flip the video so it's mirroring what I'm doing, or the student?

Can this be done using Canvas Student on a mobile device? I tried using Studio in Canvas Student on an iPad, but as soon as I selected Webcam Capture, I was informed that this option was not supported on "this browser" (???), and that I needed to use Chrome or Firefox instead. I found this very ironic, given that the Canvas website does not function properly when it's accessed using a browser on a mobile device - the whole point behind them offering the Canvas Student and Canvas Teacher apps. And on my iPhone, Studio in Canvas Student doesn't even give me a Record button.

Hi @JanPhD , you're very welcome! Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks, 

Tami

Hi @jsproul, if you are already recording a video using the webcam (or recording a screen capture) you cannot switch to the other method while recording. You would need to record two separate videos.

Thanks,

Emily

Hi @ghalsell, you can take a video on using the camera on your mobile device, but the steps are slightly different. After you open Studio from the Student app, you will tap the Add icon and then tap the Browse Files button. Your device should display an option to take a video. Alternately, you could record a video using your device's camera and then select the video from your photo library. However, if the video is going to be longer than about a minute, using a computer will be a much safer option.

I hope this helps!

Emily

Hi @doore_marilyn, that is a great question!

I'm not positive that it's possible to use those specific camera models to record a video in Studio. However, this might be worth a try: Before opening Studio, connect your preferred alternate camera to your MacBook Air. Then, open your MacBook's system preferences menu. In your system preferences menu, change the default camera to your preferred alternate camera, which should show up in the selection options. Save your system preference changes, and keep your alternate camera connected. 

Next, open Studio. The Allow Access image shown in the guide above displays the camera selection step for Studio. In the drop-down menu that displays when setting up your recording, your connected alternate camera should appear as an option. If it doesn't appear as an option after taking those steps, the camera is probably not compatible with Studio. 

If you have any additional questions, please let us know!

Thanks,

Tami

How do you record a video using canvas studio?

Thank you, Emily, for showing me how to record a video in Studio in Canvas Student on an iPhone. I will certainly pass that information along to my students!

Hi @KalliSlay, are you trying to use a webcam or capture your screen in your video? If you want to use your camera, the directions above in this help article will guide you through it. If you would like to record your computer screen, this article should be helpful: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Studio/How-do-I-record-a-Canvas-Studio-screen-capture-video-in-a-...

Thanks!
Tami

@tbooth Thank you Tami for the directions. I'll try that out with both models of doc cams I have. 

I was recording in studio and then my computer said "memory is full". Where does the studio store its videos that I create? How am I supposed to make videos of my lessons if my computer doesn't have memory space? I thought the videos would be stored on the cloud somewhere.

@doore_marilyn You're very welcome!

Best,

Tami

I need to record a video for a class and I don't know what I am doing. Could someone please help me? step by step I am new at this.

Thank you,

Cynthia Windham

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
5 of 5
Last update:
‎09-03-2020 12:39 PM
Updated by: