cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use Canvas Studio?

How do I use Canvas Studio?

A Canvas Studio account allows you to manage all your Studio media at any time. You can view, share, and comment on any uploaded video or audio media file.

When Studio is integrated with Canvas, users with instructor roles can also view media within their course.

Most commonly, Studio accounts are integrated with Canvas and can be accessed through your institution's Global Navigation Menu. However, Studio can also be accessed through a separate Studio site (most commonly for admins).

To learn about available keyboard shortcuts in Canvas Studio, view the Studio Media Player Keyboard Shortcuts PDF.

Note: If your Canvas Global Navigation Menu does not include a link to Studio, and your institution did not provide you with an email to log into the Studio site, you can always access Studio through the Rich Content Editor Studio icon, though full functionality is limited. If you are an instructor, you can also access Studio through the Course Navigation Menu.

View Studio Navigation Toolbar

View Studio Navigation Menu

Within the Studio interface, Studio includes a navigation toolbar at the top of every page. The toolbar includes the Navigation Menu icon [1], as well as icons to record media [2], add media [3], and search media [4].

View Library

View Uploads

Studio defaults to the My Library page, which shows all the media you've uploaded to Studio. Collections display first and then media files display in the order they were uploaded, starting with the most recently uploaded media.

View Shared Media

View Shared Media

The Shared with Me page contains media shared with you by other Studio users. You can also share your media with other Studio users as well.

View Course Media

View Course Media

If you are an instructor, you can view media uploaded to your courses.

Note: Media must be added to the course before the course appears in the navigation menu.

Search Media

Search Media

The search field returns searches for titles, description terms, or terms that match specific tags. Tags and descriptions can be created when a creator adds a video or audio file and edits the details.

To search for a video or audio file, click the Search icon [1]. In the Search field [2], enter the name or subject of the video or audio file. Click the Enter or Return key on your keyboard.

View Search Results

View Search Results

Any results display in the page.

Upload Media

Upload Media

To upload media, click the Add button. You can also drag and drop video or audio files into your My Library page.

Record Media

Record Media

To record media, click the Record button. You can use your webcam to record a video in Studio.

View Media

View Media

To view the media, hover over the video or audio file and click the media thumbnail. Viewing media allows you to manage all details and settings as well as manage comments and view user analytics.

Comments

The Canvas Studio appears to be a good location to store videos and images that will be repeatedly used in the course. I can also see strong value in recording messages to the class about lessons, changes in schedule or reminders about upcoming dates. Some students need to hear the class instructor voice instructions of reminders while others can obtain the information just by assessing instructions on line.

Based on the nature of the course, there are many audio recordings that are provided to students online, in the classroom and in tests. This provides a simple location for these to be saved and accessed as needed. Also valuable to me as the instructor is the ability to received resources shared by other instructors. With the limited number of teachers in this field of study, we often exchange materials so that others can access them and to build a resources library for new instructions. This use alone justifies taking this course. This permits us to use an online resource rather being device dependent. On any given day, I often use three computers. To have the sources easily available in planned stored will simplify my preparation and planning time and give me more time to improve by preparation and delivery of instructional materials.

Hi again, @robert_lord1! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You mentioned learning about Studio as part of a course. Was your comment intended as an assignment submission or response to a course discussion for a training course? If so, comments added here in the Canvas guides are not linked to your Canvas course. If you'd like to learn more about submitting an assignment in Canvas or responding to a course discussion, check out the following how-to guides: How do I submit an online assignment? and How do I reply to a discussion as a student?

Naomi

For some reason the studio has been disabled for my classes and the students can not access the video's I am up loading.  Is this at an district level or do I need to log into something.  I see all of my classes that canvas is populating but the eye with the line icon is next to the studio link on the navigation bar....how do I enable?  When I go to the settings and organized my navigation bar..it says studio is enabled but yet it is not.

Please help...as a theatre class I use this feature ALOT.

I like the easy access.

Has anyone experience students receiving a "VIDEO RESTRICTED" error message for Studio videos in Assignments or Pages using the External Tool? Is that a connection issue on the student side? Some classes have students viewing with no problem while others are receiving the error, in the same class period, at the same time, during e-learning.  Looking for advice! Thanks!!

Hi @audrey_green! I sent you a reply over in the How do I view Canvas Studio media in a course? guide. Please let us know if we can help with anything else. Thanks!

Tami

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
5 of 5
Last update:
‎09-03-2020 12:39 PM
Updated by: