cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the computer specifications for Canvas Studio?

What are the computer specifications for Canvas Studio?

This is a list of basic computer system requirements to use Canvas Studio. It is always recommended to use the most up-to-date versions and better connections. Studio will still run with the minimum specifications, but you may experience slower loading times.

Screen Size

Studio is best viewed at a minimum resolution of 800x600.

Operating Systems

• Windows 8.1 and newer
  • Mac OSX 10.6 and newer
  • Linux - chromeOS

Computer Speed and Processor

• Use a computer 5 years old or newer when possible
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 2GHz processor

Internet Speed

• Along with compatibility and web standards, Studio has been carefully crafted to accommodate low bandwidth environments
  • Minimum of 512kbps

Screen Readers

• Macintosh: VoiceOver (latest version for Safari)
  • PC: JAWS (latest version for Firefox; we currently do not support the Edge browser for accessibility)
  • PC: NVDA (latest version for Firefox)
  • There is no screen reader support for Studio in Chrome

Learn more about supported accessibility in Studio.

Supported Browsers

Studio supports both Canvas browsers and Bridge browsers.

Note: Studio webcam capture is only supported by Chrome and Firefox browsers.

Languages

The Studio user interface inherits the browser’s set language.

Studio on Mobile Devices

The Studio interface is optimized for desktop displays and is not officially supported on mobile browsers.

Mobile Browsers

Visit the Apple store or the Play store to download mobile browsers. The following major browsers are compatible with mobile devices:

iOS

• Safari
  • Chrome
  • Photon Flash Player (supports Flash
)

Android

• Internet
  • Firefox
  • Chrome

Note: Android default browser varies per mobile device.

Canvas Mobile Operating System Native App Support

• iOS 7 and newer (versions vary by device)
  • Android 4.2 and newer
Comments

Is Studio officially supported on the Canvas Student mobile app?

Hi @ghalsell, thanks for your question. Much of the Studio functionality is available in the Canvas mobile apps, but I'm not sure what you mean by officially supported. If the app is not working the way it should, please feel free to open a ticket with Canvas Support.

Thanks,

Emily

Hi @emily_allen,

I asked the question first of all because this KB article is somewhat misleading - it covers the computer specifications for using Studio on desktop and laptop computers, then mentions that accessing it using a browser on a mobile device is not supported. What would have been helpful is a cross-reference to documents specifically dealing with using Studio in Canvas Student. I didn't discover any such articles until after I posted my question here.

My own recent experience was the other thing that prompted me to ask this question. I tried to record a video using Studio in the the Canvas Student app, but when I selected "Use Webcam", Studio informed me that this was not supported on "this browser", and suggested that I use Chrome or Firefox instead, which, of course, this KB article indicates is not supported.

As far as opening a ticket goes, unfortunately, due to budget cuts, my school had to give up direct instructor and student access to Canvas Support, so aside from posting questions on community forums, I'm limited to support from our own IT staff. They do a good job overall, but they aren't familiar with the Canvas Student app and have been unable to help me there.

Thanks for the additional info, @ghalsell! Using Studio on a mobile device is definitely an area we could use more information about, so I'll bump up the priority of that project for our team. Thank you for sharing details of your experience using Studio on a mobile device! 🙂

We're glad to have you here in the Community! Please feel free to continue asking questions on the Guides and we'll do our best to answer. Since comments on individual guides are periodically deleted, you can also utilize the question forum  to start discussions with other people using Canvas. 

Have a good weekend,

Emily

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
5 of 5
Last update:
‎09-03-2020 12:39 PM
Updated by: