Global announcements allows you to contact all or specific users within an account or subaccount using one message. For example, if there will be a time period of updating or downtime for the account, you may want to let the users know ahead of time so they can plan accordingly.
Global announcements are shown from all accounts associated with a user and display in the user's Dashboard. If a user has an account with multiple institutions, the user can view multiple announcements. To help differentiate announcements at the account and subaccount levels, the announcement also indicates which account or subaccount sent the global announcement.
You can create five different types of announcements: warning, error, information, question, or calendar. When a new global announcement is created, information will display as the default announcement type. To learn more about the announcement types and how they appear to users, view the Global Announcement Types PDF.
Global announcements can be shown during a specific date range. Once an announcement passes its start date, the announcement is immediately visible in each user's dashboard and can be dismissed by the user.
If necessary, you can also edit the text in a global announcement, such as to fix spelling errors. The start and end dates can also be edited until the actual start or end date for the announcement.
- Global announcements do not display in course announcements or in the Canvas iOS app.
- Global announcements are not supported as a user notification preference and can only be viewed in the Dashboard.
- When users are not enrolled in any courses, they can view announcements from the root account. They can only view sub-account announcements once they have been added to a course within the sub-account.
- The Theme Editor primary color is associated with information, question, and calendar notifications. However, warning and error colors cannot be changed.
- Any edits made to an existing Global Announcement after its start date will not force the message to reappear for users who have already dismissed it. Any substantial changes to the global announcement should be created as a new Global Announcement so that it reappears for all users.
In Account Settings, click the Settings link.
Note: To make an announcement in a sub-account, click the Sub-Accounts link, select a sub-account, then click the sub-account's Settings link.
Add Announcement Details
In the Title field , type the title of the announcement.
In the Announcement type field , set the Announcement type (warning, error, information, question, or calendar).
In the Message field , create the announcement using the Rich Content Editor. The Rich Content Editor includes a word count display below the bottom right corner of the text box.
If your institution is associated with a trust account, you can choose to only show the announcement to users within the current domain .
In the Send to section , select the roles of users who should see the announcement. You can select both course and account roles. If no roles are selected, the announcement will display for everyone with a course in the originating account or sub-account.
Choose Start and End Dates
Choose the start and end dates for the announcement by typing in the fields or selecting the Calendar icons (required).
View Global Announcement
View the global announcement. The announcement includes the name of your account or sub-account.
To edit your global announcement, click the Edit icon . To delete your global announcement, click the Delete icon .