Canvas Mobile Recent Activity

Discuss, share tips, and ask questions about Canvas Mobile

On Canvas's Desktop website there is an "Available until XXX time" under the due date for the assignment, but does not have this feature on mobile. I had issues with uploading an image so I did my best to recreate what I see on the desktop website.  ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

My students using android phones are unable to see group members in the app. They can see the group they are in but when they click on the people part it shows everyone on the module, not their group.  Those on ios dont have the same issue. 

(Community Novice)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I've recently stopped receiving push notifications on my canvas app and when I went to check my notifications preferences through the web browser, there was no column for push notifications anymore. Any idea how to add this back? Thanks

(Community Member)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

How do I delete an item within a modules. I have a video and I want to remove it.

(Community Novice)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I keep trying to access the course I registered to at GTCC. It says enrolled as student and published but when I click the star I keep getting this message "Course cannot be added until active." I don't know what to do. 

(Community Member)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Can we circle back to this? While this may be how the feature is now, it is not how it used to be. You used to be able to highlight using, say, an Apple Pencil while in the IOS app. After you highlighted, you could tap and there was an option to chan...

(Community Member)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

This is still an issue 3 years later. Please consider adding the drop down to remove or change the status like it is in the desktop version. It seems like a no brainer.

(Community Novice)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello @JuanPolania  Thanks for posting this in the Canvas Community!  I am sorry you are having trouble viewing special characters on a presentation your instructor shared. That is odd you can view them on a desktop, but not on the mobile app.  Does ...

(Instructure)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Yep, did that.  They are supposedly working on it.

(Community Champion)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello @BStutzman  Thanks for posting this in the Canvas Community!  I understand that you are seeing an odd behavior with students viewing Rubric criteria prior to submitting on the Canvas student app.  I tested this on my end and also saw the same b...

(Instructure)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hello @Josie4  I understand that you have a question about rubrics when viewed on the mobile iOS app for students.  I tested this on my end as a student in my sandbox environment and I was able to view the long description used on a rubric without an...

(Instructure)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello @AlexisCallor  Thanks for posting this in the Canvas community!  I know that there is a way to set the default browser on your iOS device to use Chrome instead of Safari. This can be done within the device settings for Chrome. (Settings>Chrome>...

(Instructure)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello @HelenCarter  I apologize that you are having trouble logging into your Canvas account on the Android app for students.  It sounds like you might not be selecting the correct school when you try and sign in. Some institutions have specific dire...

(Instructure)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello @JosephWilda  Thanks for posting this in the Canvas community!  This seems like it might be a limitation of the doc viewer that is used to add your annotations on the Teacher app. Not sure why the difference in the file that is used would limit...

(Instructure)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello, I experienced the same technical issue over the weekend. I used a desktop PC to submit the assignment, and my browser was up-to-date. I could have been using Microsoft Edge. I have read that Canvas uses Microsoft SharePoint, so it could be a d...

(Community Member)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello @AmayaRehman  I understand you are having trouble with the Canvas Widget for the Student app on Android.  I am not totally sure why it is saying "Nothing To Display." I wanted to comment on this and offer some troubleshooting you could try on t...

(Instructure)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I am having trouble viewing the special characters on a canvas presentation posted by a professor. I am able to see the characters on a desktop but am unable to see it on mobile. the special characters show as a empty box and out of sink with the res...

(Community Member)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

The conversation you linked in your last reply is a closed conversation that is older than this one. Is there a more recent update to the 12.9-inch iPad Pro collapsible menu issue or perhaps an ETA on when an update with the correct coding will be p...

(Community Member)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 0 Replies

this is not fixed and still happens

(Community Novice)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I just updated my Canvas Student app to 7.1.2 and student no longer have the submission and rubric button in an assignment until they submit the assignment.  This is taking away functionality that I was using prior to the update where I would have st...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Hello,  I have reviewed your documentation on rubric view in the student app and there does not appear to be the option of viewing the longer description so that students ensure they are meeting the requirements.  All that can be seen is a title and ...

(Community Member)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I’m a student and on my iPad and my iPhone, I have the default browser set to Chrome. However, every time I try to take a quiz I get a warning notification from canvas that says to switch the browser from safari to chrome or Firefox because the media...

(Community Member)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Can not log into my canvas app on my android. - student. Password and id work on computer log in, but not on android.  and did so till recently. Have cleared my cache, and history. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Canvas. Any ideas?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hi @Maryann7 - Have you tried the Canvas Teacher app? It's created with graders in mind! While you don't have access to the full gradebook, Speedgrader works well! Canvas Teacher App  What is the Canvas Teacher app? 

(Community Team)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Is there a way to grade on canvas using an iPad? I am a TA and it is easier to utilize my iPad but I can not figure out how to access my students grade book on iPad. It only shows up like I am a student in the class, which it does not do on my comput...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Mobile Forum
Solution Posted: 02-09-2024 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Thank you for letting me know! At least they know about it. Hope it's fixed soon!

(Community Participant)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 0 Replies

@KeriSalyards I received a response about this!This behavior has been identified by Instructure Support as a bug, and our engineering team is actively working on a solution. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, but I am optimist...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to appear picture blurry on your iPhone, there are some steps you can take to try and improve their quality without spending any money:-1. Clean the Camera Lens:- The camera ...

(Community Member)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Ah, finally! I thought I was going nuts because no one else seemed to have the issue! The link for my institution has come back when I request the desktop site, thank goodness, but the whole Admin button is still gone on the mobile version. We're beg...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Yes! I thought I was the only one, it was really helpful. I don't know why it is gone, but I would also like it back.

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Mobile Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Canvas Mobile Product Blog

Read updates from our Product teams about Canvas Mobile

Tl;dr – Beginning today, Community members will only be able to comment on Product Blogs published in the last six months.   In 2023, the Instructure Product blog received 298,500+ page views and w...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

The Good News I am pleased to inform you that the planned release has been successfully implemented. From version 7.0 and above, the Canvas Student application now includes the offline support featur...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 4 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Enable learning no matter what Our mission as the creator of the Canvas LMS is to elevate success in learning. This is a goal we always insist on and we believe that enabling a convenient offline lea...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 7 Likes
  • 4 Replies

For Canvas and Apple customers in the United States, iWork files (.pages, .numbers, and .key) can be uploaded via Canvas apps on iOS or the web and they will now preview in Canvas’s DocViewer. This f...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 5 Likes
  • 18 Replies

At Instructure, we are always looking for ways to improve our Canvas mobile apps and make it more user-friendly. That's why we're excited to share that we are working on a new feature - Offline Suppo...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 Replies

UPDATE: The surveys are closed now. Thank you for the participation! We have collected 308 student responses and 349 from teachers/instructors which is great.   At Instructure, we are committed to pr...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 1 Likes
  • 1 Replies

We are continuously monitoring the distribution of the operating system versions of the mobile devices. The following pie chart shows how the current OS distribution looks like: We see that the rati...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

UPDATE (2022.08.30): Based on the comments and feedback we received regarding to this topic we would like to continue the discussion with our users. Please take a look at the survey we have created ...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 2 Likes
  • 20 Replies

The Canvas mobile applications just like any other application (even web pages in the web browser) store data on the local device for various reasons. Mostly for performance and speed benefits, but...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Update!!! (12/02/2023) The feature got postponed for various reasons, but it is still on the roadmap and we are reviewing it on a quarterly basis. I will update this blog post once we put it in  motio...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 6 Likes
  • 29 Replies

If you are CANVAS user—maybe even a mobile CANVAS user—you might have noticed that we have introduced some dashboard-related changes in the following app versions: iOS Student v6.14.2iOS Teacher v1.14...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 4 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Recently, Instructure released a new feature to allow for a temporary suspension of users. Additionally, a new API was added to permanently remove user access tokens, requiring them to re-login to Can...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 5 Likes
  • 0 Replies

In my previous article I was speaking about “fixing” student annotations. Although this feature was never a bug but rather a quite massive feature for both mobile and web too. I’ve recently created a(...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 1 Likes
  • 0 Replies

You may not realize there are differences between the “traditional” annotation type and the new “Student Annotation Submission” annotation types. Both of them are annotations, right? They both look t...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

The importance Approximately 80 million people live with some type of disability in the European Union. That is already a huge number. These people would like to use the same tools and equipment that ...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 4 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Before you continue reading this post, please recall when you just launched one of the Canvas mobile apps (Student, Teacher, or Parent), and you were not so happy with how much time it takes (or how c...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 5 Likes
  • 11 Replies

We have run a couple of user interviews recently. We wanted to know how the K-5 teachers utilize the technology and the possibilities of Canvas. I am acting as the product manager of the Canvas Mobile...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 Replies

We are committed to security and protecting data. Security is not a new thing and it is not my goal to describe it in this post. If you are interested to learn more, please navigate to our Instructure...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Everything’s green and the driveway is covered in sidewalk chalk and life is totally normal, so that means it’s time for a mobile update!   As you would expect, all of our teams have been racing to re...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 9 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Canvas Parent 3.1 beta for Android and iOS - incoming!   Android 3.1 beta link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.instructure.parentapp    iOS 3.1 beta link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/J...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 4 Likes
  • 1 Replies

We’re at nine million monthly active users of the Canvas mobile apps, which is many millions more than when I last posted about Instructure’s approach to mobile. If you’re new to Canvas, or if you’re ...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 5 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Here’s a public link to download the Canvas Parent 3.0 iOS beta from TestFlight:   https://testflight.apple.com/join/JDVOYyT9   We recommend uninstalling any other version of Canvas Parent installed o...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 6 Likes
  • 7 Replies

We’re waffling between snow and sunshine in Utah and my discolored pumpkins are shriveled and leaking, so that means it’s time for a fall update! Here’s what the mobile teams are working on.   Rise of...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Hope summer is going well for you! After the second-rainiest spring on record, the atmosphere over Utah burned away and now we're all walking around in climate-controlled space suits and eating sand. ...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 14 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Here's some stuff that's worth writing home about!   Canvas Student:   We’ve been working for months on a new assignment details page and a new submission workflow for students in mobile. I outlined s...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 16 Likes
  • 16 Replies

It’s about time we published an update from the Canvas mobile teams, don’t you think?   Here are some fall start highlights -- in descending order of how much they excited me:   Neighbor’s kid stopped...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 11 Likes
  • 1 Replies

If you're looking for printer-friendly how-to guides for parents who are self-registering for Canvas, here's what we've come up with:   Self-registering in Canvas Parent (parent perspective)Creating a...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 7 Likes
  • 5 Replies

Instructure's mobile strategy usually ends up outlined in a couple of InstructureCon presentations, but if you’re new to Canvas, or if you haven’t made it to InstructureCon, or if you just want to kno...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 15 Likes
  • 0 Replies

With a few more tweaks we'll be done with Canvas Parent 2.0, so here's a final pre-release post! Anything to do with pairing codes or self-registration in this post is only relevant if self-registrati...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 6 Likes
  • 12 Replies

For the most recent post on Canvas Parent 2.0, check out Canvas Parent 2.0 - Pre-Release Update.   --------------------------------------------   We’re making some really good progress on Canvas Paren...

(Instructure Alumni)
The Product Blog
  • 12 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Canvas Mobile Release Notes

Learn about the latest releases, updates, and bug fixes for Canvas Mobile

In Canvas Student 7.2, students can set assignments and quiz reminders. Additionally, on the Grades page students can view their total grade based on graded assignments only and the interface is updated. Canvas iOS app version updates are distributed...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Android 1.28, next and previous buttons are added to module items. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users over time. The features in these notes may not immediately ...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Teacher iOS 1.24, Assignment Enhancements and Discussion and Announcement Redesign interfaces are supported. Additionally, instructors can rearrange course cards in the Dashboard. Canvas iOS app version updates are distributed in a phased r...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student iOS 7.1, Assignment Enhancements and Discussion and Announcement Redesign interfaces are supported. Additionally, students can rearrange course cards in the Dashboard. Canvas iOS app version updates are distributed in a phased rollo...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student 7.1, students can reorder course cards on the Dashboard. Additionally, the late penalty label color is updated in Assignment Details. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the upda...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Teacher 1.27, Discussion and Announcement Redesign is supported. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users over time. The features in these notes may not immediately be...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student 7.0, students can favorite groups, and Offline mode is supported. Canvas iOS app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users enrolled in automatic updates over time. The features in...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student 7.0, the Discussion and Announcement Redesign and Offline Mode are supported. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users over time. The features in these notes m...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Parent 3.9, the Legal menu is relocated. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users over time. The features in these notes may not immediately be available as an update ...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Parent 3.9, observers are limited to view qualitative data only when enabled by an institution. Additionally, Canvas Studio media displays as user content. Canvas iOS app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distribut...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student 6.23, students are limited to view qualitative data only when enabled by an institution. Additionally, Canvas Studio media displays as user content. Canvas iOS app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distribu...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Teacher 1.23, Canvas Studio media displays as user content  Canvas iOS app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users enrolled in automatic updates over time. The features in these notes m...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student, students are limited to viewing qualitative data only when enabled by an institution. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users over time. The features in thes...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Parent 3.8, observers are limited to viewing letter grades only when enabled by an institution. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users over time. The features in the...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student 6.25, the PDF view is updated. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users over time. The features in these notes may not immediately be available as an update in...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student 6.24, course groups display by default and clicking the successful file upload notification routes users to the file location in the Dashboard. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distribute...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Teacher 1.24, successful File notifications have been updated to display on the Dashboard. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users over time. The features in these no...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Teacher 1.22 , app details are available in Settings and the file annotation toolbar icon colors are updated. Additionally, an error displays when a user searches for a school using invalid information in the Login page. Canvas iOS app vers...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Parent 3.8, app details are available in Settings. Canvas iOS app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users enrolled in automatic updates over time. The features in these notes may not im...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student 6.22,  app details are available in Settings and the file annotation toolbar icon colors are updated. Additionally, an error displays when a user searches for a school using invalid information in the Login page. Canvas iOS app vers...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Parent 3.7, app details are available in Settings and the Login page is updated with an improved design. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users over time. The featur...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student 6.23, the Inbox is redesigned with swipe and bulk actions. In Assignment details, students can use a drop-down menu to view multiple submission attempts. When Assignment Enhancements is enabled, submission detail comments display in...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Teacher 1.23, the Inbox is redesigned with swipe and bulk actions. When the Assignment Enhancements Feature Preview is enabled, submission detail comments display in specific submission attempts. Also, when using the share extension to uplo...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Parent iOS 3.7, a Switch Mode button allows users to switch assignment details from dark to light mode when the app theme is set to Dark Mode. A pop-up consent displays when the Acceptable Use Policy has been updated upon logging in. Also, ...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student 6.21, the Dashboard displays in full screen on iPads and larger iPhones in landscape mode. Canvas iOS app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users enrolled in automatic updates o...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Teacher 1.21, the Dashboard displays in full screen on iPads and larger iPhones in landscape mode. Canvas iOS app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users enrolled in automatic updates o...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Parent Android 3.6, a pop-up consent displays when the Acceptable Use Policy has been updated upon logging in. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users over time. The ...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Teacher 1.20, a pop up consent displays when the Acceptable Use Policy has been updated upon logging in. Additionally, a button displays to switch assignment details from light to dark theme when the app theme is set to Dark Mode. Lastly, t...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Student 6.20, a pop up consent displays when the Acceptable Use Policy has been updated upon logging in. Additionally, a button displays to switch assignment details from light to dark theme when the app theme is set to Dark Mode. Lastly, t...

Canvas Mobile Releases

In Canvas Teacher 1.22, the login screen is updated with an improved design. Canvas Android app version updates are distributed in a phased rollout, which distributes the update to all users over time. The features in these notes may not immediately ...

Canvas Mobile Releases