How do I add a calculator, ruler, or protractor to an item within a Mastery Connect assessment?
After you edit or create in item within an assessment in Mastery Connect, you can use the Item Editor to add item-level tools to an item. You can add a calculator, a ruler, or a protractor.
- To add a tool to an item in an assessment, both the item and the assessment must be in draft state.
- You an also add a calculator, ruler, or protractor to an item in an item bank.
- You can also enable tools at the assessment or tracker level. You can enable tools for an individual formative assessment, a benchmark assessment, or for all the assessments in a tracker.
- When the Include question level tools option is enabled for a tracker or assessment, item-level tools are available in addition to the tracker-level and assessment-level tools.
- Item-level tools display in the main body of an item.
- The Desmos calculators are only available in districts that have paid Desmos subscriptions.
In the Global Navigation menu, click the Assessments link .
Alternatively, to edit an assessment as an administrator, click the Admin link . You can learn more about how to edit benchmark assessments or district formative assessments.
Open Assessment Editor
To locate an existing drafted assessment, click the Drafts tab . Then, to open the Assessment Editor, click an assessment's More Options icon , and click the Edit link .
Note: To add a calculator, ruler, or protractor to items contained within an assessment, the assessment must be in draft state.
Open Item Editor
In the Item Editor, you can select a tool group, and then select a specific tool. You can add any of the following tools:
- Basic, extended, or scientific Mastery Connect calculator 
- Desmos scientific, four function, or graphing calculator 
- 6 inch, 12 inch, 15 cm, or 30 cm ruler 
- Protractor 
To add a tool to the item, click a tool group button . Then, in the tool menu, click a tool toggle button on .
To view a tool, click the View preview icon . A preview displays .
To disable a tool, click the tool toggle button off .