cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I leave comments for students in the Gradebook?

How do I leave comments for students in the Gradebook?

If you want to leave simple feedback for your students, you can leave a text comment directly from the Gradebook.

Open Gradebook

Open Gradebook

In Course Navigation, click the Grades link.

Open Grade Detail Tray

Open Grade Detail Tray

Locate the student name and assignment where you want to leave a comment. Click the Gradebook cell and click the Grade Detail Tray icon.

Add Comment

Add Comment

Type your comment in the Comments field [1] and click the Submit button [2].

View Comment

View Comment

Comments will be listed in chronological order with the oldest comments appearing at the top and the newer comments appearing near the bottom [1].

To delete your comment, click the Delete icon [2].

Edit Comment

Edit Comment

To edit your comment, click the Edit icon [1] and make your edits in the comment box [2]. When you have finished editing your comment, click the Submit button [3]. The time stamp of the edited comment will indicate the comment has been edited [4].

Comments

Is there a way to see who posted/replied to comments left without going student by student looking at each assignment? I see the notification number on Grades going up, and receive app/email notification that "student" has commented on an assignment. But is there a way in grade-book to see where that comment was left without drilling down to the student assignment level to find them?

Hi @TechWithTheTech,

It looks like you have identified all the areas where this displays. I don't believe there are any options in the Gradebook that will show what you are looking for from a higher-level view.

Cody 

Is there a way to disable the ability of students to reply to a comment?   As teacher I want to leave feedback for the students, but do not want them to reply directly to the grade comment.   I would prefer they reply via inbox/message.   

Hi @glparker,

Thanks for adding your question. It's currently not possible to prohibit students from commenting in the Gradebook. If this is something you feel should be added to Canvas, you could add a feature idea to suggest that functionality.

Cody

Which notification setting needs to be enabled to receive notification that a student has commented on an assignment or responded to the instructor comment on an assignment? 

Hi @akwidup

That would be the Submission Comments notification. You can check this PDF to review the notifications and what actions in Canvas trigger them. 

Thanks, 

Allie 

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: