How do I create a quiz with a question group linked to a question bank?
You can create a quiz using a Question Group linked to a Question Bank.
When you link a Question Bank to a Question Group, you will see all of the Question Banks that you have built in the same course, and those you have bookmarked in other courses where you are the Instructor. You will also see Question Banks that have been added by your administrator to your sub-account, which makes it easy for instructors in the same department or program to share resources.
Canvas will reference your chosen bank of questions as each student takes the quiz. Each student will get a specified number of questions, pulled from the bank at random. The number of questions and point value per question is specified when the question group is created. For instance, if you want to use questions from the English Department and they have 7 questions in their Question Bank, but you only want the Question Group to display 2 questions, Canvas will randomly pull 2 of the 7 questions as each student takes the quiz.
If you need your questions to appear in a specific order, you should add individual questions or find questions instead of creating a question group.
- When linking a question bank to a quiz, be sure to make changes within the question bank before the quiz is available to take. Although you can make changes to the question bank after a quiz is published, students who have already opened or completed the quiz will not see any of the changes, which may affect their grades. Students who begin their quiz after the changes are made will see your updates.
- Questions that are linked to a Question Bank cannot be regraded since they may be used in more than one quiz.
- When the Default to New Quizzes feature option is enabled, you cannot create new Classic Quizzes. However, existing Classic Quizzes can continue to be edited, imported, and migrated to New Quizzes.
In Course Navigation, click the Quizzes link.
Click the Add Quiz button.
Select Quiz Engine
If your course has New Quizzes enabled, you must select a quiz engine.
To create a classic quiz, click the Classic Quizzes option .
To select New Quizzes, click the New Quizzes option .
To save your quiz engine selection for this course, click the Remember my choice for this course checkbox .
Then click the Submit button .
- Learn more about creating a quiz using New Quizzes.
- You can reset your quiz engine choice from the Quiz Options menu at any time.
Edit Quiz Details
In the Details tab, enter the name of your quiz . In the Rich Content Editor , introduce your quiz with formatted text, images, video, or sample math equations. You can even use the media commenting tool to record an introduction to the quiz.
Complete the rest of the quiz details .
Add New Question Group
Click the Questions tab . Click the New Question Group button .
Create Group Details
Give your question group a name . Decide how many questions you want Canvas to randomly select from the group  and the number of points assigned to each question .
Quiz question groups are not automatically named for instructors. To add a custom name to your quiz question group, enter the name in the group text field. Custom names can help you identify quiz question groups more easily.
Regardless of the question group name, students always see quiz questions in numerical order (i.e. Question 1, Question 2).
- Quiz point values support up to two decimal places. Entering more than two decimal places will round the point value to the nearest hundredth.
- If you set a question group to randomly select questions from the question bank, the question bank and questions will not be included in quiz exports. The QTI file will download quiz details, but no questions will be included.
Link to a Question Bank
Click the Link to a Question Bank link.
Find Question Bank
Select the question bank you want to reference in your quiz . Click the Select Bank button .
Confirm your Question Bank is linked to the question group . Click the Create Group button .
Modify Question Group
To change the number of questions to be picked from the group or to change the points assigned, click the Edit icon . To delete the question group, click the Delete icon .
Click the Save button to save your work and preview the quiz.
Note: You should not publish your quiz until it is your final product. If you are ready to publish your quiz and make it available to students, click the Save & Publish button.
Preview and Publish Quiz
Click the Preview button  to see what students will see when they take the quiz. If the preview shows the quiz the way you want it, click the Publish button .
Note: Although you can make changes to the quiz after it is published, students who have already opened or completed the quiz will not see any of the changes, which may affect their grades.