cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I lock a module?

How do I lock a module?

You can set modules to be locked until a given date. Students will be able to see the module titles and module item names, but they will not be able to access the module items until after the lock date has passed.

Note: For students to view a module after a lock until date, the module must be published in your course.

Open Modules

Open Modules

In Course Navigation, click the Modules link.

Edit Module Settings

Click the Options icon [1]. Select the Edit link [2].

Lock Module

Lock Module

Click the Lock until checkbox.

Set Date

Set Date

In the Unlock field, enter a date that the module should unlock.

Use Calendar

Use Calendar

You can also use the calendar to select a date. Click the Calendar icon [1]. In the calendar, click the date the module should unlock [2]. If you want to set a specific time, enter a time in the time field [3]. Click the Done button [4].

Update Module

Update Module

Click the Update Module button.

View Module

View Module

The unlock date and time will appear next to the bottom of the module.

Comments

How do I unlock images on home page for student viewing

@rwallace69,

Thanks for posting your question. To clarify, are you using the Pages Front Page as your course home page? Do the images in that page not display for students? Is the course published? 

Naomi

How do I unlock a module. I have the modules as my homepage and they are locked for some reason and my student can't access them. I didn't lock them. The course is published. Thanks

Hi @cconser

Is the module published? If not, then it won't display on the Modules page. 

Hopefully this helps! Please let my teammates and I know if we can help with anything else. 

Thanks, 

Allie 

Yes the module is published

Hi @cconser

I did a quick look and perhaps your module items are not published? Even if the module is published, students won't see the module items that are unpublished. Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 3.06.29 PM.png

Hopefully this helps! 

Thanks, 

Allie 

The circle is green, it is published

@cconser are students still having issues accessing modules on the front page? I took a look and from what I can tell everything is published and students should have access to view the published modules and content. I see no reason why students would see locked modules. If the problem persists, please contact our Canvas Support team or your school's local technical support team for further assistance (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-get-help-with-Canvas-as-an-instructor/t... )

Thanks,

- Nathan

I have my module set as "locked" and students must progress through each lesson in sequential order.  When I go to publish the module, it says I will be changing the settings by doing this.  So, does my module automatically publish once it has unlocked?  Very confused.  Thanks!

Hi @vtteacher,

Is this the message that you are referring to:

requirements.png 

Yes. That's it.  Sorry, my summary was less than stellar.

No worries, @vtteacher. This is just alerting you that you are making changes to modules within an active course. So if students are already working through modules, this could potentially change the workflow through modules. To re-lock the modules, click the Re-Lock Modules button. To allow students to continue without any changes, click the Continue button.

Cody

Ok, so I still need to publish the module though, right?  Just having a time set for when students can access it doesn't mean it will automatically publish at that time.  Is that correct?

Correct. You will need to publish the module manually.

Thank you!

Does the "Student View" behave different for teachers than it does for students in terms of allowing access to "locked" modules?  I had everything published in my modules and my module published with the lock until date in the future.  When I went into student view, I was able to see and access what was in the module.  Shouldn't it have been locked? 

Or do I need to set every assignment to not allow access until the open date of the module.  If that's the case, what's the point of locking a module just by the date? 

I went ahead and unpublished the module and left the date to open, but then of course it didn't open automatically.  

@erin-wall I just tested this to confirm and when I access student view and try to see a module it shows it is is locked. I've attached a screenshot of what this should look like for reference (this module is published and locked). The only thing I can think of is if your students previously had access to the module content, when you locked it did you choose to Re-Lock Modules instead of clicking Continue? If you didn't Re-Lock the module, students may be able to access it and it would explain what you're seeing as the test student.

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 4.46.01 PM.png

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: