cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a cloud assignment with a Google Drive file?

How do I create a cloud assignment with a Google Drive file?

You can create an online assignment that embeds a document directly from your Google Drive folder. Accepted assignment types are Google Documents, Spreadsheets, and Slides. Please note that in cloud assignments, Google Slide presentations are not displayed in presentation mode.

When students open the assignment, Google Drive will create a copy of the file as the student’s submission. Students can make changes per the assignment instructions directly from the Canvas assignment page. When they are ready to submit the assignment, they can submit the assignment. The copied document is also added to the student’s Google Drive folder for the course.

You can also view each student's document copy in SpeedGrader for grading. Submitted assignments are converted to a PDF to show the assignment at the time of submission. If students made any changes to their assignment, they will have to resubmit it for the changes to be visible in SpeedGrader.

The Google Apps LTI currently includes a few limitations when creating assignments:

• You cannot use Google Drive files in an external tool for group assignments.
  • If you want to use a Canvas rubric for the assignment, you must add the rubric before setting the External Tool submission type. Create the assignment with any other submission type, save the assignment, add the rubric, and then edit the assignment to select the External Tool.
  • If you want your assignment to be moderated, you must set up the moderated assignment before setting the External Tool submission type. If you need to return to the moderate page after the External Tool is added, open the assignment and add /moderate after the assignment URL.
  • Google Drive cloud assignments cannot be viewed in Student View.

Open Assignments

Open Assignments

In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.

Add Assignment

Add Assignment

Click the Add Assignment button.

Add Assignment Details

Add Assignment Details

In the Assignment Name field [1], create a name for the assignment. In the Description field [2], enter the details of the assignment for your students. When students view the assignment, the description appears at the top of the page. However, the text shouldn't be significantly long in this space.

Enter the number of points for the assignment [3], select the Assignment Group [4], and select the grading type from the Display Grade as menu [5].

Note: The Rich Content Editor includes a word count display below the bottom right corner of the text box.

Select Submission Type

Select Submission Type

In the Submission Type drop-down menu, select the External Tool option.

Note: If you want to use a Canvas rubric for the assignment, you must add the rubric before setting the External Tool submission type. Additionally, if you want to apply moderated grading, you must set up moderated grading before setting the External Tool submission type.

Find External Tool

Find External Tool

Click the Find button.

Configure External Tool

Configure External Tool

Locate and select Google Drive.

Attach File

Attach File

Locate and select the file you want to link to the assignment [1]. Click the Submit button [2].

Select Tool

Select Tool

Click the Select button.

Save and Publish

Save and Publish

If you are ready to publish your assignment, click the Save & Publish button [1]. If you want to create a draft of your assignment and publish it later, click the Save button [2].

View Assignment

View the assignment.

Comments

Hello! I love the feature to add the assignment as a cloud assignment. It makes submitting easier for our elementary students.   However, when i go to the grader, it says there is not submission for the assignment, even thought I watched them click submit.....Where are the submissions going?  Any ideas?

Never-mind, they finally showed up it just took about 45min for them to appear.  🙂 

No problem, @jsturm

Google Cloud Assignment has been removed from External Tool options in my Canvas course. Is this something Canvas did or would that have been my school district? Also, how will I accomplish the same thing now that I was able to do with GCA?

Hi @beccajean,

I took a quick peek at your Canvas account and was able to see the Google Cloud Assignment option. If it's not displaying on your end, I'd recommend reaching out to Canvas Support for further assistance. For steps on reporting a problem to Canvas Support, check out How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? 

Naomi

So my husband at school has been using Canvas with external tools like the Google cloud assignment. But some students do the job, and when they close the document, everything is empty, so they have to start again, and again, and again. 
when he goes to the student’s drive he realizes that they have several copies of the document. Why is that happening? 

Hi @ErikaTegard,

Great question. When a student opens a Google cloud assignment, a copy of the instructor's google file is made for the student to edit. However, it's only copied once per student. So if they go out of the assignment and back in, any changes they made previously should display.

If students have multiple files for the same assignment in their Google Drive, I wonder if they made their own copy of the assignment (students can do this by going to File>Make a Copy). If they did that, they could go back into the assignment in Canvas and the assignment would be blank, but their Google Drive would show multiple copies of the assignment. Does that sound like what might've happened?

Naomi

I'm very frustrated because I've followed the directions to create a cloud assignment. I've uploaded my document to Google Drive, and then created the assignment and followed all the steps above. When my students click on the assignment, they see a viewable document only, when I thought that this type of assignment would be great for worksheets that they needed to fill in, and they'd be able to do that directly in Canvas.

The only way that my students can complete the assignment is to click on the pop-out link in the upper right corner of the viewing window, which takes them to a separate browser window, and from there they can click on "Open with Google Docs" where they can edit the document. When they return to canvas, after some delay, the document appears to be updated there, at which point they can click on submit so I can grade the worksheet.

Per @sbridge  above, I've tried setting various sharing settings on my copy of the file in my Google Drive account, with no better luck. The files that I post in my Google Drive DO get copied into my students' Google Drive accounts, it's just that the presentation they see when they look at the assignment is that it's non-editable from within Canvas.

I have an open ticket (Case #06484743) and I've uploaded various screenshots as requested so they can see what's happening. They replied a little over a week ago with a suggestion of something to try (clear my browser cache and remove Canvas access tokens), and that didn't get me anywhere. I replied with another screenshot. 

For what I have to believe would be a very popular integration into Canvas, I'd have hoped that the feature would be used by lots of courses and not be broken for three weeks. That said, I was hoping that they'd come back to me with something I clearly missed doing from the very simple instructions above. At this point, I've been making excuses to my students for three weeks, and we all are frustrated.

All offers of help are appreciated. Someone telling me that it doesn't work for them would also be appreciated, if only to tell me that I'm not crazy. Thanks so much!

-- Roger

Here is a screenshot of what the assignment looks like when a student opens it:

screenshot.png

@rlong I emphathize immensely as this is a key feature and I struggled as well.  These may seem obvious but I'll confirm a few things.

1.  The gdoc in your gdrive that you have selected through the external tool IS set to share with your students correct?  You should not have to give them edit access but they do have to have view only access.

2.  There are two versions of Google integration out there.  We have both installed but were told to use the first one.

Sometimes I just needed to see it done, so here is me setting one up so you can watch.  Maybe you will find the step that isn't working.  Crossing my fingers this helps you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ed3NzeviU_0YZwqB7kn0ij9G_wo5gEz9/view?usp=sharing

It would be really helpful if a rubric could be added after creating the assignment.  

Hi @ebaines,

Thanks for your comment. Please see this feature idea where you can rate and add your comments.

Cody 

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: