cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I migrate a Canvas quiz to New Quizzes?

How do I migrate a Canvas quiz to New Quizzes?

You can migrate a quiz from Classic Quizzes to be used in New Quizzes.

You can also migrate a survey from Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes. However, the survey will be migrated as a standard quiz as New Quizzes does not include a survey feature.

While New Quizzes migration supports all question types, you should still review your assessments before assigning them to students.

Notes: 

• After migration to New Quizzes, multiple dropdown questions display as matching questions.
  • Question banks cannot be imported into New Quizzes as item banks. However, you can import questions manually into an item bank by exporting a Canvas quiz.
  • When a classic quiz is migrated to New Quizzes, question groups import as item bank questions. However, the questions in the question groups are stored in the quiz and are not added as an item bank. All quiz questions in the group will be displayed in assessment preview.

Open Course

Open Course

In the Dashboard, click the course that contains the quiz you want to migrate.

Open Quizzes

Open Quizzes

Click the Quizzes link.

Migrate Quiz

Migrate Quiz

To migrate a quiz, click the Options icon [1]. Then click the Migrate option [2].

Note: If you cannot view the Migrate option, it has not been enabled for your institution. Contact your Canvas Admin for assistance.

Open Quiz

Open Quiz

Once migrated, the quiz displays a New Quiz icon [1]. To open your quiz, click the name of the quiz [2].

Note: By default, migrated quizzes are unpublished.

Comments

How are the questioned edited if they were converted from a question group?

Hi @michaelweiland,

When a classic quiz is migrated to New Quizzes, question groups import as item bank questions. However, the questions in the question groups are stored in the quiz and are not added as an item bank. All quiz questions in the group will be displayed in assessment preview. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. 

Naomi

Yes, thank you Naomi, I read that in the documentation too.  The questions are NOT editable in Preview mode, nor are they editable on the test Canvas.  What if faculty want to edit those questions??

Hi @mweilan

Currently New Quizzes doesn't support editing question groups imported from Classic Quizzes. However, you can manually import the questions into New Quizzes. I found the following in this document

How can I add questions from Question Banks as an Item Bank?

Until the development work is completed for Question Banks to convert to Item Banks, questions can be imported manually into an Item Bank by exporting Canvas quizzes.

• In Classic Quizzes, create a new quiz with the name of a question bank.
  • In the Questions tab, select the Find Questions button. Locate the question bank and select all questions. Click the Add Questions button.
  • Save the quiz.
  • In Course Settings, click the Course Export button; select the Quiz Export type. Export the ZIP file when completed.
  • In the New Quizzes menu bar, click the Manage Item Banks button.
  • Create a new item bank. 
  • Open the Item Bank. In the menu bar, click the Import Content button.
  • Click the Import Content button.
  • Locate the exported ZIP file and import it into the item bank.

Note: Item Banks will not allow additional content to be imported once questions have been added to a quiz. However, individual questions may be added manually.

Hopefully this helps answer your question. Please reach out if there's anything further we can help clarify. My teammates and I will do our best to help you out. 

Thanks, 

Allie 

Can I migrate an already published classic quiz that has submitted answers without the students' answers+grades getting lost? I want to use the regrading option of new quizzes, as there was a mistake in the correct answer for a question.

Hi @marv42,

Are you able to use any of the regrade options in Classic Quizzes? I haven't tried moving a graded quiz, but I wouldn't expect it to transfer any grades or submissions with it.

Cody

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: