The Gradebook Individual View allows instructors to assess one student and one assignment at a time. Fully accessible to screen readers, this Gradebook view allows instructors to sort by section and assignment and contains all the same settings that are available in the default Gradebook View (the view that shows all students in a course).
If you are not familiar with the settings and other options in the Gradebook, click the feature links throughout this lesson to learn more about how the feature works in the default view.
Like all Gradebook tabs, Individual View is persistent. Therefore, once you switch the Gradebook to Individual View, the Gradebook will always display in Individual View until it is switched back to the default view.
Note: If your course includes multiple graders, please note that once you open the Gradebook, all existing Gradebook data is stored in the browser until the page is refreshed. Grades are not dynamically updated with any changes made by other graders in the Gradebook or in SpeedGrader.
Select Grading Period
When Multiple Grading Periods are enabled in a course, in the Grading Period drop-down menu, select the grading period you want to view.
Note: You can only manage grades for assignments in a current or future grading period. Once the close date for a grading period has passed, you cannot edit grades for the prior grading period.
In the sort assignments drop-down menu, select how to sort assignments:
- By Assignment Group and Position
- By Due Date
Select Gradebook Settings
To select any settings you want to display in the Gradebook Individual View, click the checkbox next to the setting description:
- Treat Ungraded Assignments as 0 (this option may be restricted when multiple grading periods are enabled)
- Hide Student Names
- Show Concluded Enrollments
- Show content from the Notes Column in Student Info
- Show Totals as Points instead of Percentage on Student Grade Page (only available if you are using unweighted assignment groups in your course)
In the Student drop-down menu , select the name of the student whose information you want to view. If you want to view all students beginning with the first student in your course or section, click the Next Student button .
Remember, student names will be sorted by last name and displayed according to your section preference in the Global Settings drop-down menu.
In the Assignment drop-down menu , select the student's assignment you want to view. If you want to view the first assignment in your course, click the Next Assignment button .
Remember, assignments will be displayed according to your sorting preference in the Global Settings drop-down menu.
View Gradebook Information
Once you select a student and an assignment, the Grading, Student Information, and Assignment Information sections will display all corresponding content. Scroll down the page to view each of these sections. You can revisit the Gradebook settings at any time to hide and show settings.
Depending on selected Gradebook settings, you have the option to modify the Gradebook as available within the Grades and Assignment Information sections:
- Enter or edit grades
- Excuse the assignment
- View Submission Details: Add a comment and view more details in SpeedGrader
- Add information to the Notes column
- View Grades and Assignment groups (if any); when grading periods are weighted and the All Grading Periods options is selected, the Grades section displays the weight of each grading period
- View final grade (this option may be restricted when multiple grading periods are enabled)
- See assignment in SpeedGrader
- Download all submissions (this function is a bulk download of all student assignment submissions, regardless of section, but the Download All Submissions button is not available for quizzes)
- Mute the assignment
- Send a message to students
- Set default grade
- Curve grades
Note: The Message students who button will not display if you have selected an anonymous assignment.
View Next Student or Assignment
To view the next student, click the Next Student button .
To view the next assignment, click the Next Assignment button .
You can always select individual students and/or assignments by clicking each respective drop-down menu.
Switch to Default Gradebook
To switch to the Default Gradebook, click the Switch to Default Gradebook link.