By default, Canvas allows students to see assignment grades as soon as you have graded the assignment. In some cases, however, you may wish to hold student grades until all assignments have been graded, and then release grades to all students at the same time. To hide student grades temporarily, you can choose to mark an assignment as muted. You can also mute assignments in the Gradebook.
A muted assignment will not send out grade change notifications or any new instructor comments until the assignment is unmuted. A muted assignment displays a Mute icon on the student grades page so students know the assignment is muted. Students will be unable to view their grades, including grade and score changes, instructor submission comments, Canvas DocViewer comments, and curved assignments for the assignment, until the assignment is unmuted. In Gradebook exports and reports, muted grades are part of unposted grades.
Muting should only be used to temporarily block grading work in progress from student view. It should not be used to conceal grades for longer than reasonably necessary.
If you do not want students to be able to view their total grade, you can hide the total grade from students.
- If you make changes to a muted assignment, the total score as you see it (in both the Gradebook and the student Grades page) will be affected. However, students will not see any changes when they view their Grades page. Once you unmute the assignment, the total grade in the student's view will update accordingly.
- Anonymous and moderated assignments are muted by default. Moderated assignments cannot be unmuted until final grades have been posted.
- Students can see peer review comments when an assignment is muted. However, students cannot see instructor comments until after the assignment is unmuted.
- If you unmute an assignment with varied due dates, all students will receive score results at the same time.
- Viewing the Total Column in the Gradebook may be restricted when multiple grading periods are enabled.
- Students will not be able to view their quiz responses while a quiz is muted.
Confirm Mute Assignment
A notification window will verify you want to mute the assignment. Click the Mute Assignment button.
Note: Students will be unable to view their grades until the assignment is unmuted.
Student View: Muted Assignment
The Mute icon will appear next to the title of the muted assignment on the Grades page. If a student tries to click on the mute button, a popup dialog informs the student that the Instructor is working on the grades for that assignment.
Note: The Mute icon will appear with the assignment in every instance throughout Canvas. In this example, for instance, the icon is displayed next to the assignment in Grades, but the icon will also appear next to the assignment in Assignments.
To unmute the assignment and release grades to the students, open the assignment in SpeedGrader and click the Unmute icon.
Note: Moderated assignments cannot be unmuted until final grades have been posted.