You can bulk import outcomes for your course using a CSV file. A bulk import allows you to add new outcomes to your course or update the details of multiple outcomes at one time.
The CSV file must be formatted correctly according to the Outcomes Import Format Documentation.
After your CSV file has been processed, you will receive an email notification confirming a successful import or displaying errors with your file. If there were errors, the email will contain details about the first 100 errors including the row of the error and a short description.
- Currently, only CSV files are supported. JSON files will be supported in a future release.
- Importing outcomes is a course permission. If you do not have permission to import outcomes, your institution has restricted this feature.
Drag and drop your CSV file to the upload area, or click in the upload area to choose a file from your computer.
View Import Status
Canvas displays a loading page while the file uploads. Large CSV files may take time to import. You can leave the Outcomes page at any time without disrupting the import process.
View Import Success
When the file has been successfully imported, Canvas displays a confirmation message. You will also receive an email that the import was successful.
View Import Error
If the import was not successful, Canvas displays an error message.
You will receive an email with details about the first 100 errors. Each error will include the CSV row number and a description of the error.
The following types of errors may occur in CSV files:
- Required headings are missing
- Other headings are placed after the ratings header
- Invalid headers are present
- Rating tiers have missing points
- Rating tiers have invalid point values
- Rating tiers have points in wrong order
- Object type is incorrect
- Parent group refers to missing outcomes
- Required fields are missing
- Import file contains no data
- Parent groups are invalid
- Workflow state is invalid
- Invalid UTF-8 string
- Calculation validation method not specified
- Group receives invalid fields
- Outcome edits are not within the same context
Correct the errors in the CSV file according to the Outcomes Import Format Documentation and re-import the file.