Analytics Beta allows you to track average course grades for student submissions using an interactive chart graph. Data is for viewing only and cannot directly be changed. You can view analytics in both active and concluded courses.
The average course grade is the average of all student totals from the Gradebook. Course analytics will show you student activity, assignment submissions, grades, and student names. Page views and participation metrics include an aggregate across all devices, including Canvas mobile apps.
Only active student enrollments are included in data for Analytics Beta.
By default, the analytics page displays an interactive chart graph of all data. However, you can switch and view data within a table at any time.
- If you cannot view the Analytics Beta link in Course Navigation, you may have to make the link visible via the Navigation tab in Course Settings. If the Analytics Beta link is not available in the Navigation tab, your institution has disabled this feature.
- Data is refreshed in Analytics Beta every 24 hours. Please confirm the time the data was last updated in the course, as content may be outdated compared to recent course activity and student submissions.
- Analytics Beta is not viewable to students.
In Global Navigation, click the Courses link , then click the name of the course .
Open Analytics Beta
In Course Navigation, click the Analytics Beta link.
Note: If you cannot view the Analytics Beta link, you may have to make the link visible via the Navigation tab in Course Settings.
View Data Status
For reporting accuracy, the page displays the last time analytics data was last updated.
Note: If the course has been concluded, the analytics page includes a Concluded label above the Data Last Updated date.
The analytics page is dynamic based on filtered content. By default, all results display the course average, which cannot be removed .
You can also view the average grade percentage for all students , which is not affected by any filter.
Filter by Assignment
By default, analytics selects all assignment types to display within the page . Each assignment in the chart displays the appropriate icon for each visible assignment type . To view additional assignments, click the graph arrow .
Note: The Quiz icon represents both classic quizzes and Quizzes.Next question types.
To filter by assignment type, remove the checkbox next to the assignment type. The chart dynamically updates the results based on the assignment type selected or removed in the filter.
Note: At least one assignment type is required at all times.
Compare Course Data
For analytical comparisons, you can compare graph data by filtering a section, student, or assignment.
View Student Table
Below the chart and table, you can also view the specific students that are part of each filter.
For each student, the table displays the following data:
- Students : the list of students in the course sorted by last name
- Grade : current course grade
- On Time : the percent of assignments submitted on or before a due date
- Last Participation : the date the student last interacted with the course
- Last Page View : the date the student last accessed the course
View Additional Students
By default, the students table displays 25 students at a time. You can view additional pages in the pagination bar.
Message Students Who
To send a message to students whose grades or submissions are within specific criteria, click the Message button.
Export Table CSV
To export analytics data as a CSV file, click the Download button.
CSV data is exported according to the filtered data.
CSV files display a student's full name, sortable name, Canvas user ID, SIS user ID or email (if applicable), overall course grade, the percent that assignments have been on time, the last page view time, the last participation time, and the last time the student logged out.