Analytics Beta allows you to track weekly online activity in your course using an interactive chart graph. Data is for viewing only and cannot directly be changed. You can view analytics in both active and concluded courses.
Weekly online activity is comprised of page views and participations. Average page views is the average approximation of student activity across the course and can be used to identify trends in the course. Participation analytics are defined by specific actions a student takes in the course. Page views and participation metrics include an aggregate across all devices, including Canvas mobile apps.
Only active student enrollments are included in data for Analytics Beta.
By default, the analytics page displays an interactive chart graph of all data. However, you can switch and view data within a table at any time.
- If you cannot view the Analytics Beta link in Course Navigation, you may have to make the link visible via the Navigation tab in Course Settings. If the Analytics Beta link is not available in the Navigation tab, your institution has disabled this feature.
- Data is refreshed in Analytics Beta every 24 hours. Please confirm the time the data was last updated in the course, as content may be outdated compared to recent course activity and student submissions.
- Analytics Beta is not viewable to students.
In Global Navigation, click the Courses link , then click the name of the course .
Open Analytics Beta
In Course Navigation, click the Analytics Beta link.
Note: If you cannot view the Analytics Beta link, you may have to make the link visible via the Navigation tab in Course Settings.
View Data Status
For reporting accuracy, the page displays the last time analytics data was last updated.
Note: If the course has been concluded, the analytics page includes a Concluded label above the Data Last Updated date.
View Weekly Online Activity
Click the Course Grade drop-down menu , and click the Weekly Online Activity option .
View Course Data
The analytics page is dynamic based on filtered content. By default, all sections are displayed and cannot be removed .
Filtered data is displayed as a chart with two rows: average page views  and average participations . The following actions will generate participations:
- Announcements: posts a new comment to an announcement
- Assignments: submits an assignment
- Collaborations: loads a collaboration to view/edit a document
- Conferences: joins a web conference
- Discussions: posts a new comment to a discussion
- Pages: creates a page
- Quizzes: submits a quiz
- Quizzes: starts taking a quiz
Use the scroll bar to view different date ranges in the chart .
Incomplete data is predicted and indicated by a broken line .
Note: The definition of participation is based on federal guidelines related to student attendance as applicable to online courses. Please note that because communication between students and teachers often happens outside of the LMS, it is not included as a participation metric. However, as part of the Course Analytics offering, a history of inbox messages sent between students and instructors is included so that it can be viewed alongside participation metrics.
Compare Course Data
For analytical comparisons, you can compare graph data by filtering a section or student.
View Student Table
Below the chart, you can also view the specific students that are part of each filter.
For each student, the table displays the following data:
- Students : the list of students in the course sorted by last name
- Page Views : the student's total number of page views in the course
- Participations : the student's total number of participations in the course
To view analytics for an individual student, click the student's name .
View Additional Students
By default, the students table displays twenty students at a time. If your course includes additional students, you can view additional pages in the pagination bar at the bottom of the table.
View Resources Table
You can also view the amount of page views and participations for a specific resource in the course. Click the Resources tab .
On the Resources tab, you can view the resource URL path , the number of students who accessed the page , the number of views for the page , and the number of participations for the page .
Message Students Who
To send a message to students who did or did not view or participate with a specified resource, click the Message button.
Export Table CSV
To export analytics data as a CSV zip file, click the Download CSV button.
CSV data is exported according to the filtered data.
The downloaded zip file includes CSV files for chart data, student table data, and resources table data.
CSV files may display a student's full name, sortable name, week start, filters, average and total page views, average and total participations, and the resource.