This lesson describes how to hide or post grades for an assignment that already has student submissions. If you want ensure grades are automatically hidden or posted, you can set a posting policy for an assignmentor set a posting policy for a course.
When assignment grades are hidden, students will be unable to view their grades, including grade and score changes, instructor submission comments, Canvas DocViewer comments, and curved grades for the assignment. Students can still see and submit the assignment and will be informed on the student grades page that assignment grades are hidden.
When assignment grades are posted, you can select to post grades to everyone or post to students with graded submissions. When the Everyone option is selected, the Visibility icon will be removed from the Grades page for all students for this specific assignment.
If your course does not have the New Gradebook enabled, you can mute an assignment from Speedgrader.
- If you make changes to an assignment with hidden grades, the total score as you see it (in both the Gradebook and the student Grades page) will be affected. However, students will not see any changes when they view their Grades page. Once you post the assignment grades, the total grade in the student's view will update accordingly.
- Anonymous and moderated assignments are muted by default. Moderated assignments cannot be unhidden until final grades have been posted.
- Students can see peer review comments when assignment grades are hidden. However, students cannot see instructor comments until after the assignment grades are posted.
- If you post grades for an assignment with varied due dates, all students will receive score results at the same time.
- Viewing the Total Column in the Gradebook may be restricted when multiple grading periods are enabled.
- Students will not be able to see their quiz responses while quiz grades are hidden.
View Visibility Icons
If assignment grades are posted for the assignment, the icon displays as the Posted Visibility icon . If assignment grades are hidden, the icon displays as the Hidden Visibility icon .
Note: If your course uses the classic Gradebook, the Visibility icon will be replaced by the Mute icon, which allows you to mute or unmute an assignment.
To hide assignment grades, click the Posted Visibility icon  and select the Hide Grades option .
Note: Students will be unable to view their grades until the assignment is posted.
To hide grades for specific sections, click the Specific Sections button . Then select the sections where you want to hide grades .
Note: You cannot hide grades for specific sections in anonymous assignments.
To post assignment grades, click the Hidden Visibility icon  and select the Post Grades option .
Select Posting Option
To make grades visible to all students, click the Everyone option . When the Everyone option is selected, the icon that indicates grades are hidden will be removed from the grades page for all students, including students with ungraded submissions.
To post grades to students with graded submissions, click the Graded option . When the Graded option is selected, the icon that indicates grades are hidden will only be removed from the grades page for students with graded submissions.
- Grades can only be posted to everyone in anonymous assignments.
- If a manual posting policy is set for an assignment and grades are posted to everyone, the manual posting policy will become inactive and future grades will be posted automatically.
To post grades for specific sections, click the Specific Section button . Then select the sections where you want to post grades .
Note: You cannot post grades for specific sections in anonymous assignments.