Late Policies: Instructor FAQ

Document created by Erin Hallmark Administrator on Dec 15, 2017Last modified by Erin Hallmark Administrator on Jan 5, 2018
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Late Policies allow instructors to set up grading rules for late and missing submissions. These policies allow instructors to be more efficient and consistent in their grading of late and missing submissions.

General Information

How do I configure Late Policies?

In the New Gradebook, click the Settings icon. A new window will display in your browser.

How do I enable the New Gradebook?

If your Canvas admin has allowed the New Gradebook feature option at the account level, you can enable the New Gradebook for your course. Open Course Settings, and in the Feature Options tab, look for the New Gradebook feature option.

Do late policies apply across courses?

No. Late Policies only apply to the course in which they are configured. If you want to use Late Policies in multiple courses, you will need to set them up for each course.

Are late policies available in the current Gradebook?

No. Late policies are only available in the New Gradebook.

If I use the Late Policies feature, can I return to the current Gradebook if I want to?

No. Late Policies is not compatible with the current Gradebook. Once you enable the New Gradebook feature option in your course, the feature option will be irreversible (for both you and your Canvas admin) when one or both of the following features are applied:

• Manually adjust a submission status to none, late, missing, or excused
  • Enable late or missing policies in the Settings menu

In affected courses, the course-level feature option may take up to 1 hour to display the status change.

Missing Submission Policy

How do I use the Missing Submission policy?

The Missing Submission policy lets you automatically apply a grade for submissions when they become missing. To enable a Missing Submission policy, check the Automatically apply grade for missing submissions checkbox.

New Gradebook Late Policies Missing Submission Grade percentage field

The Missing submission grade field lets you set the grade that will be granted for missing submissions. The percent entered is multiplied by the points possible on the assignment, and the resulting value will be given to missing submissions for that assignment. For example, if the Missing submission grade is set to 20% and an assignment is worth 10 points, all missing submissions for that assignment are awarded a grade of 2 (10 points possible x 20% = 2 points awarded).

If you want to award all missing submissions with a grade of 0, the Missing submission grade can be set to 0%.

Does applying a missing submission policy overwrite grades for missing submissions that already have grades?

No. Changing the Missing submission grade percent will not retroactively regrade already-graded missing submissions. Therefore, the Missing Submission policy should be set up when a course is created prior to creating assignments.

When will grades be applied for missing submissions?

Every 5 minutes, the Gradebook looks for ungraded missing submissions due in the last 24 hours and assigns a grade according to the Missing Submissions policy. If the submission already has a grade, it will be unaffected by the Missing Submission policy.

Can I manually grade missing submissions if I have a missing submission policy set up?

Yes. Keep in mind, though, that once a missing submission has been graded, it will not be affected by the Missing Submission policy. If you’ve manually graded a missing submission and want the Missing Submission policy grade to apply instead, simply clear out the grade for the submission and the Missing Submission policy will automatically apply the grade according to the policy.

Does entering a grade for a missing submission remove the Missing label?

No. Assigning a grade to a submission does not remove the Missing label. Only submissions themselves control labels automatically, so you would need to remove the label manually if you want the submission to not display as Missing. This situation fits use cases for on-paper submissions or submissions sent to you not using the student's online Submit Assignment button.

Can I remove the grade for a missing submission if I have a missing submission policy set up?

No. If you want to remove the grade for a missing submission, you have two options:

• Open the Grade Detail Tray and mark the submission as something other than Missing, and then remove the grade (recommended)
  • Disable the Missing Submission policy and then remove the grade

I don’t want the missing submission policy to affect a particular submission. What can I do?

If you want to keep your Missing Submission policy enabled but you want it to ignore a submission for a specific assignment, you have several options:

• Manually grade that submission with any grade of your choosing. Once a missing submission is graded, the Missing Submission policy will not affect it.
  • Open the Grade Detail Tray and mark the submission as something other than Missing, as the Missing Submission policy will only affect submissions with a Missing status.

Can I specify the missing submission grade as points instead of a percentage?

No. The Missing submission grade can only be entered as a percent, and it will be multiplied by the points possible on the assignment to determine the awarded grade for missing submissions.

How does the missing submission policy work with complete/incomplete assignments?

If a Missing Submission policy is set up, missing submissions for Complete/Incomplete assignments will be awarded an Incomplete grade with a score of 0, regardless of the Missing submission grade value.

Are any submissions ignored by the missing submission policy?

Yes. The Missing Submission policy will not award grades for submissions in closed grading periods or submissions for concluded enrollments.

How will grades awarded from the missing submission policy look to students?

From a student perspective, grades awarded from the Missing Submission policy will look no different than other grades.

Late Submission Policy

How do I use the Late Submission policy?

The Late Submission policy lets you automatically apply a deduction for late submissions. To enable a Late Submission policy, check the Automatically apply deduction to late submissions checkbox.

New Gradebook Late Policies Automatically apply deduction to late submissions checkbox

The Deduct field lets you set the percent of the total points possible on an assignment that will be deducted for late submissions. The For each late menu lets you set the interval for which that deduction will apply. There are two possible values: Day or Hour.

As an example, assume the Deduct field contains 10% and Day is selected for the interval. For an assignment worth 10 points: 10 points possible x 10% deduction = 1 point deducted per day.

• One day late: 1 day x 1 point deduction per day = 1 point Late Penalty
  • Two days late: 2 days x 1 point deduction per day = 2 point Late Penalty

How does the lowest possible grade field work?

The Lowest possible grade field lets an instructor set the lowest possible grade that can be awarded as a result of late penalties, which is entered as a percent of the total points possible for an assignment.

As an example, assume that we have set up a Late Submission policy such that we deduct 10% per day for late submissions, and we’ve entered 60% in the Lowest possible grade input. Assume a student submits 8 days late to an assignment worth 10 points, and the instructor awards the student 10/10.

• Student grade: 10 points
  • Points deducted per day: 10 points possible x 10% deduction = 1 point deducted per day
  • Late Penalty: 8 days late x 1 point deduction per day = 8 point Late Penalty
  • Lowest possible grade that can be awarded as a result of late penalties: 10 points possible x 60% = 6 points
  • Student’s grade: 10 points originally awarded - 8 point Late Penalty = 2 points

However, the lowest possible grade for this assignment as a result of late penalties is 6 points, so the student is awarded 6 points.

Does applying a late submission policy change grades for late submissions that already have grades?

Yes. Applying a Late Submission policy will apply the policy for late submissions that have already been graded. Therefore, the Late Submission policy should be set up when a course is created prior to creating assignments.

If a course has graded late submissions, a warning will be present above the Late policy:

New Gradebook - warning about how adjusting the late policy will affect previously graded submissions

When will the late policy be applied to late submissions?

The late policy is applied to submissions when the student is graded. As an example, assume a course has a Late Submission policy set up to deduct 10% per day late. Assume a student submits two days late and an instructor awards the student 10/10. After awarding the student 10/10, the instructor will see the following information in the Grade Detail Tray:

New Gradebook Grade Detail Tray sidebar with late penalty applied

How is the late penalty calculated for students that submit partial days late?

For the calculation of the Late Penalty, days late will be rounded up to the next whole number. As an example, assume a course is set up to deduct 10% per day for late submissions. Assume a student submits 1.3 days late. The calculation of the Late Penalty will treat the student as 2 days late, so 2 points will be deducted: (1.3 days late rounded up to 2 days late x 1 point deducted per day = 2 point Late Penalty). The behavior is the same for hour durations.

Can I adjust how late a submission is and therefore change the late penalty?

Yes. When a student submits late, the Late input in the Grade Detail Tray will automatically be filled. However, you can change the value in the number of days Late field in the Grade Detail Tray to change how late a student’s submission is. The Late Penalty may change as a result of changing the value in the Late field.

Can I remove the late penalty for a late submission if I have a late submission policy set up?

Yes. You have two options:

• Change the status for the submission to something other than Late in the Grade Detail Tray.
  • Set the interval (Day or Hour) to zero on the submission in the Grade Detail Tray.

Can I specify the deduction or lowest possible grade as points instead of a percentage?

No. The deduction and lowest possible grade can only be entered as a percent.

How does the late submission policy work with complete/incomplete assignments?

The Late Submission policy will not affect submissions for Complete/Incomplete assignments.

Are any submissions ignored by the late submission policy?

Yes. The Late Submission policy will not affect submissions in closed Grading Periods or submissions for concluded enrollments.

How will students see the late penalties applied from the late submission policy?

If a student’s submission has a late penalty applied to it, the student will see the late penalty and the final grade. The penalty displays in the student’s Grades page grading details and the assignment details page.

Viewing an applied late penalty in the student Grades page, grade detail window

Will disabling a late submission policy remove late penalties from submissions?

No. Disabling a Late Submission policy will ensure that going forward no late submissions have a Late Penalty applied to them, but it will not remove the penalty from existing submissions with a Late Penalty on them.

5 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes