You can use the New Rich Content Editor to insert hyperlinks to document files stored in your course and user files.
- If you set a file as not visible to students in Course Files and link to that file in the New Rich Content Editor, students will be able to view that file using the link in the New Rich Content Editor.
- The New Rich Content Editor is currently a course opt-in feature. You can manage your course features in Course Settings.
Open New Rich Content Editor
Open the New Rich Content Editor when creating or editing an announcement, assignment, discussion, page, quiz, or syllabus.
Note: The Rich Content Editor supports keyboard shortcuts. To view the Keyboard Shortcuts menu, click the Keyboard icon or press ALT+F8 (PC keyboard) or ALT+FN+F8 (Mac keyboard).
Select Link Location
To insert a link displaying the name of the file, click to place your cursor in the location in the New Rich Content Editor where you want the link to appear .
To insert a hyperlink to a course content item, select the text for your hyperlink .
In the toolbar, click the Documents icon . To view course documents, click the Course Links option . To view your user documents, click the User Documents option .
Note: To view the Links icon, you may have to click the Options icon .
View and Sort Files
By default, the Add menu displays all files in your selected file source .
To sort the displayed files by image, document, or media file type, click the Type drop-down menu .
To sort the displayed files by date added or alphabetically, click the Sort by drop-down menu .
Click the name of the file you want to link in the New Rich Content Editor.
Note: The text will flash before turning into the hyperlink.
Click the Save button.
- The assignment, discussion, pages, and quizzes details pages display a Save & Publish button.
- The Syllabus page displays an Update Syllabus button.
- Discussion replies display a Post Reply button.
View the content. To view the linked file, click the link .
Note: Links to external URLs display an Open icon .