cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set the auto-open for inline preview for files using the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?

How do I set the auto-open for inline preview for files using the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?

The Rich Content Editor will be discontinued in a future release. You can enable the New Rich Content Editor feature in course feature options.

You can use the auto-open inline preview for files in the Rich Content Editor. Canvas can preview any file that is supported by the document previewer. The Rich Content Editor is used in features that support the editor (Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, or Syllabus).

Notes:

• You can have multiple files auto-open, but you have to go through the steps in this lesson every time you want to add another auto-open file preview in a feature that uses the Rich Content Editor.
  • The inline preview window automatically expands to fit a preview of the attached document.

Open Rich Content Editor

Open Rich Content Editor

Open the Rich Content Editor using one of the Canvas features which support the Editor.

Locate Content Selector

The Content Selector will automatically open when the Rich Content Editor is opened.

Open Files Tab

Open Files Tab

Click the Files tab.

Select File

Select File

Find and select the file you want to insert.

Enable Auto-Open for Inline Preview

Enable Auto-Open for Inline Preview

Click the Auto-open the inline preview for this link checkbox [1]. Click the Update Link button [2].

Note: You can have multiple files auto-open, but you have to go through the steps in this lesson every time you want to add another auto-open file preview in a feature that uses the Rich Content Editor.

Save Changes

Save Changes

Click the Save button.

Note: When using the Rich Content Editor in Assignments, Discussions, Pages, and Quizzes, you have the option to Save & Publish. When using the Rich Content Editor in the Syllabus and Discussions pages, the Save button may appear as “Update Syllabus” or “Post Reply”.

View Auto-Opened File

View the auto-opened file.

Comments

Is it possible for students to do this in replies on a discussion board? I'd like them to upload viewable PDFs not just as an attachment. 

This does not work. There is no option to 'Auto-open the inline preview for this link'.

I agree with @Peagon, I followed the steps above and do not see this "auto-open" feature.  

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 4.03.22 PM.png

Hi @jenniferhudson

@michellemeazell and @Peagon are correct. This functionality is not supported for students in the current Rich Content Editor. However, students do have the option to enable previews for attached documents when the RCE Enhancements feature is enabled. For more information about enabling features in your course, check out this guide (and if "RCE Enhancements" isn't there, you can chat with you Canvas admin about enabling it). You can learn more about enabling inline previews in the New RCE in this guide

Hopefully this helps! Reach out if my teammates and I can help answer any other questions. 

Thanks, 

Allie 

the Auto open never came up.  I am learning to really hate canvas.  I just want a word document with images, and I cannot get it without doing it peicemeal.  I have wasted hours on this!!!!

@HarryH3 it sounds like you're either using the New Rich Content Editor, in which case you should follow the directions in this guide to embed a document with auto preview: How do I upload a document in the New Rich Content Editor as an instructor? or you're using a document that isn't supported for preview in the RCE. You can see the list of supported document types here: What types of files can be previewed in Canvas? 

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

I was showing you from an instructor standpoint - not a student. 

Hi @michellemeazell,

The auto-open for inline preview feature can only be enabled for certain file types. Is the file you're trying to preview one of those supported file types? For a full list of file types that can be previewed, check out What types of files can be previewed in Canvas? 

Naomi

Naomi, @CanvasDocTeam  Yes, I'm a Canvas admin at my University so of course I'm using a supported file type unless PDF has all of a sudden become unsupported.  

Hi again, @michellemeazell,

Thanks for providing more information. PDF file types are supported for inline preview. That's definitely strange that the auto-open setting isn't display for a PDF file. If you haven't already, I'd recommend reaching out to Canvas Support for further assistance. They can take a look at your specific Canvas instance and file and troubleshoot possible causes and solutions with you. For steps on contacting Canvas Support, check out: How do I get help with Canvas as an admin?

Naomi

I'm in the same boat.  I can't get the inline preview to appear for anything either.  I have teachers that are now having to spend time downloading things when last year the files opened directly within Canvas.  Why has this changed?

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: