Enter Assignment Details
Enter a name  and description  for your assignment, as well as any other assignment details .
Select Group Assignment
Click the This is a Group Assignment checkbox.
Select Group Set
To select an existing group set, click the Group Set drop-down menu . To create a new group category, click the New Group Category button .
Note: Groups created by students cannot be used for Group Assignments and do not appear in the drop-down menu.
Require Peer Reviews
Peer reviews can be used with group assignments. If you want to assign peer reviews, click the Require Peer Reviews checkbox.
Assign to Group
By default, Canvas will set your assignment for everyone in your course. To create the assignment for a specific group in the group set, click the Everyone remove icon , then start to type in the name of a group . Search fields are dynamic; when the group name appears, click the name. Lists are not scrollable.
You can include more than one group in the To field, as long as they are to be assigned the same due and availability dates.
Edit Due and Availability Dates
In the date fields, add your preferred date(s) with the following options:
- Due : Set the date and time that the Assignment is due. The due date will already be populated for you if you created an assignment shell, but you can change it if necessary.
- Available From : Set the date and time when the Assignment will become available.
- Until : Set the date and time when the Assignment will no longer be available.
Note: Beneath the Due Date and Availability date fields, Canvas will display the time zone date and time according to context. If you manage courses in a time zone other than your local time zone and create or edit a due date for an assignment, the course and local times are displayed for reference.
Add Additional Dates
To add new Due and Availability Dates for other users in your course, click the Add Date button.
Save and Publish
If you are ready to publish your assignment, click the Save & Publish button . If you want to create a draft of your assignment and publish it later, click the Save button .
View Due Date Warning
Even when you aren't adding sections, you will see a warning message asking you if you want to add sections.
You can click the Continue button  if you don't want to add any other sections to the assignment, or click the Go Back button  to go back and add sections.
Note: This warning message will not appear if everyone in the course or all course sections are assigned.
View Date Error
If you submit an invalid string of due dates and try to save the assignment, Canvas generates an error notification. Such invalid entries include not unlocking the assignment before it is due, not placing the due date inside the range of availability dates, or assigning a date that is outside the course or term dates.
Correct the date and then update the assignment again.
- If the course does not include specified course start and end dates, Canvas validates the assignment against the term date set for the course.
- If your course is using Multiple Grading Periods, the Assign field validates the due date against the closed grading period and requires the assignment date to be past the date of the closed grading period.