cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a hyperlink or embed a file from Google Drive into the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?

How do I create a hyperlink or embed a file from Google Drive into the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?

The Rich Content Editor will be discontinued in a future release. You can enable the New Rich Content Editor feature in course feature options.

If your course has enabled Google Apps, you can create a document, slide presentation, or spreadsheet using Google Drive and then embed that document anywhere you can use the Rich Content Editor in Canvas. The Rich Content Editor is used in features that support the editor (Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, or Syllabus). When embedded, Google slide presentations default to presentation mode.

In Google, you can link or embed files. When files are linked in the Rich Content Editor, the link displays the exact name of the file. Please ensure your file names are correct before linking a file. For embedded files, any time you edit the Google file, it will be automatically updated in Canvas.

Note: If you cannot view the Google Drive icon in the Rich Content Editor, you can still include your file by creating a hyperlink or publishing your Google content to the web and pasting the embed code in the HTML editor.

Open Rich Content Editor

Open Rich Content Editor

Open the Rich Content Editor using one of the Canvas features which support the Editor.

Open Google Drive

Open Google Drive

Click the Google Drive icon. If the icon does not display directly in the tool bar, the icon is included in the More External Tools drop-down menu.

Locate File

Locate File

Locate and click the file(s) you want to link.

Save Changes

Save Changes

Click the Save button.

Note: When using the Rich Content Editor in Assignments, Discussions, Pages, and Quizzes, you have the option to Save & Publish. When using the Rich Content Editor in the Syllabus and Discussions pages, the Save button may appear as Update Syllabus or Post Reply.

Comments

When I try this is can see my Google doc in teacher view, but when I switch to student view I get an error message saying 

JRockstein_0-1597956673014.png

I think I already authorized this?

@JRockstein student view is its' own entity not tied to your account, so it would not see your Google doc connection. 

Hmmm. Even if it is embedded? New to this and feeling lost. How will my students be able to see it?

@JRockstein I think I misunderstood what you were testing. I though you were going into your student view and trying to upload an item from your google drive to the RCE.  

It sounds like you've already uploaded the item and you were trying to test accessing the item.  If you're not able to view the link or embedded item in student view then you may need to loosen the share/view permissions within your google drive?  

Hm. OK. Yes I was able to access and upload in teacher view. In Teacher view it looks normal. When I switch to student view to make sure its working on that side I am getting error message about access.  But I have already given Canvas permission to access my Google drive . . .I will look at my G Drive permissions

HI! I am having same problem with my google slides. I published them and I opened up my share prefs as mentioned, even re embedded it after, and if I just put a link in my canvas page, it works in student view, but the embed does not. I remember that tech smith relay had a similar issue because of the fake nature of the the test student identity. Maybe students can see it even if we can't in student view. Annoying just the same. Please post if you figure it out.

thanks.

Help please.

my students have various success in viewing the slide shows. google account or no.

I guess I will abandon the embed tool and just post a link. Thanks canvas! 😕

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: