cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete a file or folder as an instructor?

How do I delete a file or folder as an instructor?

You can delete a file or folder in courses, groups, or personal files. Once a file or folder is deleted, it cannot be recovered.

Note: The Unfiled Folder stores documents, graphics, and any other files from your account that you have posted to different areas of Canvas, such as Discussions. Deleting these items within current courses may create broken links and submissions. 

Open Files

Open Files

In Course Navigation, click the Files link.

Delete File

To delete a file, click the line item for the file [1]. Click the Delete icon [2]. Or click the Options icon [3] and then click the Delete link [4].

Delete Folder

To delete a folder, click the line item for the folder [1]. Click the Delete icon [2]. Or click the Options icon [3] and then click the Delete link [4].

Confirm Delete

Confirm Delete

Click the OK button.

Comments

How do I delete a duplicate folder that has no content? I don't see anything on the right side when the folder is empty.

@salcido_denise,

You should be able to delete an empty folder. You have to hover over the folder in order for the Options icon to display. Can you see the icon once you hover over the icon?

Cody 

Sorry, I am not seeing the Options icon when I hover over the folder.

@salcido_denise,

Can you see the Options icon for other folders and files? 

I see the options icon for individual files, but the folder is not at the top of the window on the right hand side as in your example at the top of this page. The right hand side is only displaying the individual files within each folder.

When I click on an empty folder on the left hand side, nothing appears in the right pane. It has the message, "Drop files here to upload or choose file." 

Am I doing something wrong?

No problem, @salcido_denise. My best guess is that you may have opened the folder you want to delete. Use the breadcrumb navigation to take one step back so you can view the folder where it lives: 

empty1.png 

(So in this example, I am inside the folder I want to delete, named Empty. Click the Files link will take me one step back in the navigation.

Then you should see the folder where it lives and be able to delete it.

empty2.png

If I delete a file in one course, will it delete the file in my other courses?

@RSunseri Deleting files in one course shouldn't affect files in another course. In fact, course files should be completely independent from each other, meaning course files are only accessible/managed in the course in which they were uploaded. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
6 of 6
Last update:
a week ago
Updated by: