Content visibility options can be customized to allow specific users to view course content. Currently, only the Syllabus can be customized as a content item. Content visibility is defined by the course visibility option, so content visibility can only be set to an equal or greater structure.
Like with course visibility, content visibility can be set to one of the same visibility options: Course, Institution, or Public.
- Course: Content is available to all users associated (enrolled) in the course.
- Institution: Content is available to users associated with the institution. This option allows users in your institution to view the selected content before they enroll in the course.
- Public: Content is available to anyone with the URL.
To learn more about visibility options, view the Canvas Course Visibility Options PDF.
Confirm Course Visibility
In the Visibility options, confirm the course visibility is set correctly. Content visibility is defined by the course visibility option.
Customize Content Visibility
Click the Customize checkbox.
Set Content Visibility
Currently the only content available for customization is the Syllabus. The default is set to the same option shown for course visibility.
In the Syllabus menu, select the visibility option you want to set:
- If course visibility is set to Course, content visibility can be set to Course, Institution, or Public.
- If course visibility is set to Institution, content visibility can be set to Institution or Public.
- If course visibility is set to Public, the entire course is already public so content visibility can only be set to Public.